Delaware wing markings?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 29, 2009.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    What does the standard call for? I havent seen this addressed a lot and when I have, it wasnt very clear. Does the hen call for solid and the rooster for barred? Or the other way around?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wings- bows, fronts and coverts, white. Primaries and secondaries may show irregular slight indications of barring, but white predominating. I think it's the same for both sexes. Quill and shaft white.

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    The wing position is also a bit different, isn't it Cynthia?

4. speckledhen

Well, the wing carriage should be horizontal, not droopy. I believe that also goes for both sexes.

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ok im sorry but you were speaking a language I dont understand lol.....wings should be all white? what i mean was underneath their wings.

[​IMG]

6. speckledhen

That color looks normal. The whole outer part of the wing should be white. The long feathers that fold on the underside of the wing you are referring to are the seconaries and primaries. It's normal to have some irregular barring in those, in both male and female. Is this your main breeding rooster?

You can see those same barred feathers on Isaac's wings in this pic.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pullet--you see where hers have some barring, too.
    [​IMG]

7. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    He was my main breeding rooster, but now ive got another one from Whitmore farms who is much better. They are both in the breeding pen, though. Jack, the one in the picture, killed a hawk one time defending his girls and I promised him a home for life for that. Ive noticed the other roo is doing most of the breeding now that Jack is getting older anyways. I will post a pic of him tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by