Delaware x Light Brahma Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Jan 25, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What type of white is a Lt. Brahma? I'm terrible with genes, but I believe Delawares are silver based, right? My DH was wondering what my Del rooster over my Lt. Brahma would give us and though they are both visually white, I didn't know if them being different types of white would skew what came from the pairing. You'd just expect to get a white bird with black hackles, maybe some barring and tail black. I don't think I've seen anyone mention making that cross. We are really fond of our big Lt. Brahma hen--she's just hatchery stock, but is an excellent layer of jumbo eggs that are very similar to our Delaware's eggs and has a sweet personality. Might want a daughter of hers.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Both Light Brahmas and Delawares are Sexlinked Silver. I have a thread saved on my home computer with a bigger explaination that I wrote an I will link it for you when I get home but in general, the way you know is:

Sexlinked Silver : Bird Showing White AND BLACK. ( Light, Columbian, Silver Laced, Silver Penciled , ect..)

Recessive White: Solid White ( White Rocks, Wyandottes, Javas, Giants,...)

Dominant White: Generally in a gold/red patterned bird that is showing White and NO BLACK ( Buff Laced, Gold Sexlinks, Red Ryle) ect...

And there are some breeds that can carry more than one of them at the same time but I think all of that in the post I will link to you when I get home.

3. speckledhen

Ok, thank you! That means they are the same base color, then.

4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep, Light Brahmas are just Silver Columbian and Delawares are Barred Silver Columbian so breeding a Delaware roo on Light Brahma hens would give Barred Columbian colored chicks like the Delawares, and they should have pea combs and some degree of leg feathering,

Here is the other thread I was telling you about. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=430486

5. speckledhen

Thanks, Clint. Originally, I was thinking that would be the result, then was unsure since I've never really thought about white much at all till I got Delawares. Wanted to know if there would be some weird surprise out of it.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh yes, Cyn .... I wanna see these chicks!

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes, please show the results if you do it, I would suspect these to be great meat birds.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Yes, please show the results if you do it, I would suspect these to be great meat birds.

And with a pea comb ..... wouldn't that be great for cold weather regions?! Come on, Cyn, incubate a bunch of those eggs!

9. speckledhen

I may just pop a few of Miranda's eggs in the bator for the next hatch. She is a big meaty girl and is over four years old now, so who knows how long I'll have her with me. She and big Isaac should make some nice babies, I'd think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by