Delawares @ 10 Weeks Old (PICS)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, May 8, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are growing like weeds! The boys think they are hot stuff; they're grabbing the girls by the headfeathers and making them yell, LOL. The girls are spunky and sweet. For those who do not know, their markings clear up and evolve over time, so these have a ways to go before we'll see the final result.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To see the pair I have for sale, check out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2138281#p2138281

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I had my Delaware cockerels processed at about 17 weeks. While it was easy to tell the roosters apart, they were not getting mean even though they were in pretty close quarters. They were allowed the run of the yard during the day.

I'm including a picture of one of their tails because I'm curious about whether all that green is a good thing. It doesn't look right, but I didn't know better last year and hadn't noticed again until just now.

[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

Wow, that's alot of green! I'd say it's not a good thing at all. Never saw green in any of the ones I've had. Hope seriousbill will pop in and say something. She's the real expert.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I'd say that's a Delaware mix... perhaps with a Silver Phoenix??!

Pretty, but not standard Delaware.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Well, it's not the green, per se, but the lack of barring in the main tail feathers that would concern me there. Looks like there's been a recent Columbian Rock in that bird's family tree. It's fairly common with hatchery stock.

6. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    It didn't come from a hatchery. But, I don't know how far removed from a hatchery it was.

7. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    Oh, I just love Delawares. I have one, and she is so incredibly soft. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Some of these Columbian Rock/Dels are already many generations out from the original cross. If no one culls out the ones that lean heavily toward the CR side, then, the off traits will just go on and on, I would think. Best thing to do in my opinion would be to start with stock that hasn't been diluted that way and you'll achieve something much faster. I think in preserving a breed, that is very necessary.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Nice birds Cyn! [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Thank you, Lee! Hey, I have a pair for sale, hint, hint... make you a great deal! [​IMG] Hug Iris and Hazel for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by