Delawares, 7 Weeks Old...and CJ

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Aug 28, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ok, here they are, the bunch that restored my faith in the breed...although, these seem almost a different breed than the hatchery Dels. There are four cockerels and two pullets. They are sweet, super-friendly, smart, inquisitive and sociable. And my little cross chick, CJ, who I believe is a cockerel, darn it! I wanted to keep this one to see how it grew, but alas, no room for a boy of this type here right now. Has a perfectly beautiful pea comb and is very dark blue, quite a handsome chick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I love the two little guys on the foot stool! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

Arent they handsome? I just love them. It rained for three days straight, several inches, so forgive any mud in the pics. They aren't usually dirty-looking kids, LOL.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The one on the left gives a good stink eye! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

I just noticed his expression. He's the one I've selected to keep for myself along with the two pullets. Every time I bend over, one jumps on my back so it's dumb to go in there unless I have my dirty chore shirt on, LOL.

6. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh I love Delawares so so much... One day, I shall have my own flock of them... [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Cyn they are lovely! I am so glad that you are having better luck with yours than I am. My are just so darn mean. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Oh, I sure know what you're talking about, Stacey! My Vampire Chicks were just awful little brats. One cockerel in particular was vicious toward me and the pullets were extremely skittish and would bite, also. It's a shame, too, because I really wanted the huge eggs like their mother laid. These are nothing like those first ones, thank goodness!

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Vampires about sums them up! [​IMG] Darn little things. [​IMG]

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh they are beautifull!! [​IMG] Now I am going to have to build another coop, and run...next year...I want some!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by