Delawares are hooligans

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by walkswithdog, Mar 25, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    LOL I had to put my new hatched BA mutts in with the Delawares and Sizzles who are two weeks old. The Dels are hoping on their heads and stealing their water (electrolytes are yummier than their water). I swear they're going to be pirates and brigands when they grow up. They don't even KNOW how to pause. The poor sweet sizzles have had more than enough of them but the new huge brooder isn't finished yet. Now the BA's get to play trampoline. I don't think they're being harmed but it's far less peaceful than the inside of my shirt.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are a bunch of little hooligans, aren't they? My poor Del babies got a taste of outside for several days and learned to go up and down the ramp, but we've having a rainy pattern for awhile and I'm sure there will be lots of pent-up energy. Your little BR is the only one in with 14 Dels. So far, she's doing great, holding her own.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Good for her Cyn they're good for her since she'll mix in with this wild bunch. The BA mutts are actually adjusting I just have to fill their water about every hour - delawares LIKE SWEET. OMG

I've been running out in the rain to finish the big brooder, 5ft x 6ft x five feet high, that out to give the little busy-bodies some room to groove in. At least they've been NOTHING but sweet (except for the pogostick thing) to the babies. I can take high energy and well intentioned.

They're a hoot. Some of this group show a LOT of shoulder and wing color, and some have sort of a bar across the wing and the others less than that. They've got me baffled as to sex. And wow they grow, I'm impressed.

I need to run out soon and get a new bulb for the brooder then I'm all set to free their feet... oh and roosts, hmmm what am I getting for roosts. I'll make something up. LOL

But I'm waiting for the headache to go away, slammed the top of it up into the wellhouse door jam - it's short and I miscalculated. Cinderblock does NOT yield, even to my thick head. OUCH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by