Delawares, are they all this nice?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fullhouse, Jun 9, 2008.

1. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Ours are good natured, curious, and great foragers! Are they all like this? We are really enjoying them more than I expected [​IMG]

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Boy, I sure wish I could say, "YES!" But, um, no.

They vary greatly depending on the strain. Ours are like yours, nice-tempered, great foragers, great layers and good all-around. But I've read plenty of posts from others with different experiences. Where did you get yours? I kind of try to keep track of who's selling the ones people like.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have what Delawares are supposed to be. I had the Vempire Chicks, as I used to call them, two pullets and two cockerels I had to remove from the nursery coop after they injured 8 other chicks. They'd bite me, too, even at four weeks old, HARD. One cockerel was especially aggressive. I came to believe, after hearing some similar stories, that some hatchery had gotten ahold of an aggressive strain. I am getting some real heritage Delawares from a breeder I know (hi, Janet) next month and hope to finally have the REAL Delawares.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  4. seriousbill

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Hi Cyn [​IMG] Yes, I think they will do better for you. I don't necessarily think they'll be as cuddly as your Barred Rocks, but they are guaranteed not to turn into bats when the moon rises [​IMG]

5. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:I got mine from a heritage breed hobbyist in northern Michigan, I can get you his phone number and name if you want it. They are actually separate from the others because they are just picked on all the time.

6. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:Yikes! I think I'll stay away from hatchery Delawares then :eek:

7. seriousbill

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, please PM it to me if you get the chance; I'd appreciate it.

8. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    My Delaware is from Murray and she is very sweet. I love her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by