1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delawares & Blue Orpingtons...hey, seriousbill! Your Grandchicks! PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Jul 23, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are so pretty and funny, these babies. The Delawares have such big personalities, they just run over the Blue Orps, LOL. They are two weeks old now. The first picture is one of my cockerels...yep, I know that one is a boy for sure, LOL. The girls, for the most part, aren't as patterned as the boys, however, there is one that has lots of color in the wings and other than that, seems pretty pullet-ish. Tell me what you think, Janet!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Awwww!!! They are so dang cute!!! I want some of your BBS orp's SO bad!! [​IMG]

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Wow, they're really growing! But I can't say on gender yet--need the neck and shoulder pattern for that, although that big young 'un does look rooish [​IMG] . All of that juvenile patterning will clear as they grow, of course, but the patterned youngsters do tend to have good tail black when they grow their final coloring, both males and females. The little white-feathered youngsters may be marked fine too, though.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    What a bunch of cuties Cyn! I'm glad that you are enjoying your Delawares and just look at the fluffy little Orps.! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Thanks, Stacey, so far, so good! Janet, I'm not 100% sure of any of the genders except for that one boy in the first pic. Just intuition from raising chicks for the last couple of years, not going on the feather patterns you mentioned. This boy is very much in charge and comes to the defense of the brooder right away. Just everything about him screams ROO! I like him alot so far. Now, if I just knew what all the others are. There are a couple of the least patterned ones that seem very girly, but I'll reserve judgement on that for a couple of weeks. Anyway, they are all very robust and healthy little ones. I know I have two Blue Orp cockerels out of this bunch, at least. One has already crowed, as if I coudn't tell about that little tank already, LOL.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    So cute Cyn, I see a splash pullet in the brooder! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Yes, you do! Finally, my splash pullet! [​IMG]

8. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Beautiful chicks.

9. speckledhen

Thank you, Julie. The RIR pullets I hatched from your eggs are growing fast-they're 13 weeks old now! All are very dark black-red and lovely.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What nice looking chicks you have. I have never had delawares although I do find them lovely. I see a splash! Woot for pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by