Delawares - comb points and other falts?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by that_crazy_lady, Nov 4, 2009.

1. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I've got two pairs of young Delawares, and I'm looking for a clear under standing about the falts that breeders are trying to breed out of them

the first thing I would like to know is what counts as a point? is it every point or only the peaks in between the front and back? I wish I had a pic so someone could just look at my roos and tell me.
    what are the other falts if there is any?

FYI if you have Del are you really want to show them off go to https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=249618

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    This might help!

[​IMG]

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Wonderful! Thank you

4. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    oh thank you thank you [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Even the small ones the front count. The back blade does not.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Thanks from me,too!!!!! I was trying to figure that out myself, wondering which were the parts that counted!

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh, thank you, thank you! I just asked this same question!
    Thanks again!

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I think hens with barring in the tail feathers is a fault, as they should be black with white tips (lace), and a 40 degree set on tail, and bright yellow legs. I think most of all to work towards is body type ... large, wide and deep breasted. I don't know alot and am trying to learn!

9. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Every serious breeder should have a copy of the APA Standard of Perfection. This book will show and tell you just about everything you need to know. Put it into some one's ear to get it for you as a present. The APA sells a black and white version which less expensive than the colored version. I use the black and white version; it has pictures of the birds and the body type to obtain in show birds. It also has pictures of many other characteristics.

Tim

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I was trying to hold out for the new version, but can't seem to find any info on when that might be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by