1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delawares? {Edited w/pics}

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HuestisFarm, Sep 23, 2008.

1. HuestisFarm

HuestisFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    These two roosters were our first. My Mother-In-Law got them hoping to get some eggs... but HAHA, the joke was on her. I told her she had two roosters! She was told they were hens! PLEASE! I'm certainly no expert, but you can clearly tell they are roos all the way! Wouldn't you think she'd realize this when they crowed?! *HAHA*

Now, I'm not sure about these two being pure Delawares or not. Could they be Light Brahma crosses possibly? Either way, I think they're gorgeous... and I'm seriously considering keeping the larger of the two as our main rooster. Also -- how old do you think they are? These pics were taken on June 1st, haven't gotten any updated ones yet.

They are called, Thing 1 & Thing 2.

Thing 1
    [​IMG]

Thing 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got updated pics today, so I'll post those too once I get them uploaded.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. HuestisFarm

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    edited with pics [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not Delawares or Brahmas. Could be a mix of either of those breeds, but I doubt Brahma or there would most likely be feathers on the legs. Just a handsome pair of crossbreed roosters. Delawares have barred tailfeathers like a Barred Rock. Here's a young cockerel:
    [​IMG]

EDITED TO ADD: Cant be Brahma since they have single combs. Pea combs are dominant, so if they had Brahma in them, they'd not have those great big "stand at attention" singles.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    So, I dare you to sneak an egg or two into the chicken yard every once in a while.

Rufus

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep!! But make sure it's only once in awhile....just enough to keep the MIL going>>>> [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. HuestisFarm

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    Here's some updated ones of the boys....

Thing 1
    [​IMG]

Thing 2
    [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

They look a bit like red sexlink roosters, a common one that people get in their chick orders as "packing peanuts". However, they are definitely a cross, whether actually red sexlinks or not (which is also a hybrid/crossbreed)

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    ?? Red Pyle Leghorns???

9. speckledhen

I dont know, Mahonri. Seems like the body type is too stocky. Now if they had Red Pyle Rocks, that would fit, but I've never heard of any.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by