Delawares... have a question, looking for chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by harleyjo, Jul 9, 2011.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I want to start a small flock of sustainable Delaware chicks so I can also use them for meat birds. I want both a male and female don't I? Also an Indian runner is not the same thing as a pure Delaware is it?

Good places to get them would be appreciated also.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:An Indian Runner is a duck. You mean an Indian River. Indian Rivers were the original name of the Delaware breed, but Cackle has crossed a Del and a NH and is calling them "Indian Rivers" now, I take it. That is not a pure Delaware, no.

To get a Delaware that is the proper body type for a good dual purpose meat bird, you'd have to stay away from most hatchery Dels. They pretty much ruined them by crossing in Columbian Rocks at some point. Paul Harter in MO has some really nice Dels for your purpose.

http://www.backtothefarmmo.com/ is his website link. Some folks here have birds from him. I believe kathyinmo does, but not sure who is actually selling chicks or hatching eggs in the summer.

3. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Quote:An Indian Runner is a duck. You mean an Indian River. Indian Rivers were the original name of the Delaware breed, but Cackle has crossed a Del and a NH and is calling them "Indian Rivers" now, I take it. That is not a pure Delaware, no.

To get a Delaware that is the proper body type for a good dual purpose meat bird, you'd have to stay away from most hatchery Dels. They pretty much ruined them by crossing in Columbian Rocks at some point. Paul Harter in MO has some really nice Dels for your purpose.

http://www.backtothefarmmo.com/ is his website link. Some folks here have birds from him. I believe kathyinmo does, but not sure who is actually selling chicks or hatching eggs in the summer.

Yes, that is it an Indian River... Thanks for the info. I would still appreciate people chiming in about where to find the pure Delawares. I will check out Paul Harter.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a trio, but unfortunately, one hen throws dwarfs (no plans to ever hatch from her again) and the other has a serious egg issue at the moment. The rooster is in the avatar. Nice, friendly birds, great layers.

5. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Beautiful rooster Cynthia. I plan to get some. I just have to get it all put together first.

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Rebel Rooster raises Delawares. So does HighSpringChix. They have eggs for sale in the forum. I would also check out the Delaware Breeders Club
    http://delawarepoultryclub.org/index.html they have a listing of many people who sell chicks and eggs.

Good Luck,
    Lily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by