Delawares & Jersey Giants First Eggs Today :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UrbanChickies, Jul 18, 2011.

1. UrbanChickies

UrbanChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Henderson, NV
    Not sure which ones layed them but I'm pretty sure it was the Delawares. I woke up to two broken and one very soft egg. They are all 22 weeks old today. Does anyone know how long before their eggs actually get a harder shell?

Thank you!!! [​IMG]

2. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    My Cochin laid quite a few rubber eggs when she started laying. Then she quit through the winter. This spring when she started to lay, her eggs were normal.

My other hens had hard shells from the begining. I gave them oyster shell in the run when they were young to be sure they build up enough calcium.

3. UrbanChickies

May 3, 2011
    Henderson, NV
    One of my Delawares layed a very small egg today and it wasn't a rubber egg either!! She had been trying to lay that egg for two days. I'm so happy they finally started laying...it felt like forever! LOL

4. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    One of my Delawares, Denyse was the first to give us an egg, and now consistently laying nice brown eggs. From what I've read about Jersey Giants ( I have two Black Jerseys,) they grow slower and produce later but the eggs will be extra large. [​IMG]

5. UrbanChickies

May 3, 2011
    Henderson, NV
    Some of our Jersey's are laying already but not consistent. Some of the eggs are just yoke or rubber eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by