Delawares, Leghorns,.....?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MadabtChickens, Apr 14, 2012.

1. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Okay. I'm confused. I have 2 cockerels and 4 pullets that are all supposed to be Delawares. 5 of the 6 all look similar. There's one that completely stands out. Different eyes, color, and shape. I'd like to know if they are all Delawares, or if I have a different breed. Please help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    It looks like you have all leghorns except the one in the last pic which is a delaware...

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is NOT a Delaware. See what looks like a pea comb (could be the pic, though) and solid black hackles? Delawares have single combs and barred hackles. It almost looks like a Brahma with no leg feathering, but it is definitely not a Del. You find white legs, single combs, solid black hackles and black tail feathers on Light Sussex. Are the legs white as opposed to yellow and the comb single? If so, I'd say Lt. Sussex.

I don't know if the others are Leghorns or White Rocks. The hatchery white Rocks are pretty slender much of the time so at a young age, it's hard for me to say.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. MadabtChickens

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    They all have single combs. I will get a better individual pic of one of the white ones and Belle. They are almost 3 months old right now.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Okay, then if it has a single comb and white/pinkish legs, it's a Light Sussex, not a Delaware. Pretty girl, that one. If it had yellow legs, I'd have said Columbian Rock, but they are even more rare than Light Sussex. Where did you get them?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  6. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    You have one Light Sussex and the rest are Leghorns. The way you can tell she is a Light Sussex is that 1. She has pink legs 2. Her neck and tail markings aren't barred ( a dellie's would be).
    I love Light Sussex, big gorgeous birds [​IMG]

7. MadabtChickens

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Thanks everybody! I was leaning toward light sussex also. Here's more pictures.
    Belle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of the white pullets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And Belle with the other girls
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by