Delawares! My nine sweetie's...boys or girls?

Pick-a-LilyFarm

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
New Boston, NH
Here are a nine photos of my Delaware's. They are 4 weeks old. Could you please give me feedback on what gender you think they might be. When I first hatched them, I did the feather sexing on them and thought that I had 4 girls and 5 boys, but now I'm no so sure. I took these pictures tonight while it was dusk. If you think I should take pictures during the day I will try again. Thanks!

34753_del_1.jpg

34753_del_2.jpg

34753_del_3.jpg

34753_del_4.jpg

34753_del_5.jpg

34753_del_6.jpg

34753_del_7.jpg

34753_del_8.jpg

34753_del_9.jpg

How do you tell just by looking at the pics of such young birds? Is it the redder comb/wattles? I have 4 delawares which are supposed to be females....one is a little bolder than the others, but feather-wise and comb/wattle color look the same to me. They're 11 weeks old today. What can I watch for?

I see six I believe are cockerels. Look at the shoulder markings. The ones with lots of "smut" down their backs are most likely male. Females rarely have that in this breed.

2,3,5,6,8,9 seem to have alot of smut down the back and shoulder area (males), but some of the pics are hard to see in that area.

Female Delaware:

DCP_3559.jpg

Male Delaware..see the "stippling" down his back between the shoulders?:

Picture035.jpg

See the chicks leaning over? The male is on the right and the female is on the left.

DCP_2287.jpg

I had one fool me good once, though. Male was marked like a female. You'll know in a couple weeks with more certainty. Like I said, it's hard to see in some of the pictures.

Quote:
hit.gif
I think your right SpeckledHen, they have the shoulder markings...they are light, but still there. My husband is not going to be happy. We love these guys...they are so sweet!!!! How am I going to rehome 6 boy delawares???
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom