Delawares--who has them?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Tell me about them & show me pics. Oh and please add me to your sales list for hatching eggs, next spring! LOL

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Pretty soon you will have every breed there is if you keep going like this. [​IMG]

I have had Delawares in the past and I LOVED them more than I can say. Unfortunately I lost my hatchery girl to internal laying this fall but I am going to get eggs from Speckled Hen in the spring if she has them. My girls were so sweet and curious about everything and VERY talkative. I think you will love having them.

Here is Eglantyne with friends:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  3. Rare Feathers Farm

[​IMG] GORGEOUS! What hatchery did she come from? I have decided to sell my light brahmas & get delawares instead. Just because they are more rare than the brahmas. [​IMG] So I thought I'd ask.

My hubby wants to me order from a hatchery next spring to fulfill any "missing birds" on my wish list, rather than hatch out eggs because I always end up with WAY too many roos that I won't let him butcher, LOL My problem is finding a hatchery with all of these rare breeds with GOOD coloring & that fit the breed standard....

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    check with corancher I got eggs from them and hatched out 9 chicks out of 12 eggs and ended up with 3 roosters and 6 hens.

5. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Well to be honest I would get eggs from breeders for the Delaware if you are after quality. Mine came from Murray McMurray. Try Speckled Hen or Serious Bill for eggs next spring.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:How do you like them? Are they nice birds? (Temperment?)

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thank you for the suggestions! I'll check them, out too!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

ME! I have a trio of quality Delawares, from someone who is doing her part to preserve the breed and the quality of the breed as well. A breeder I know was kind enough to ask me to hatch some while doing a fertility test for an up and coming cockerel of hers and I ended up with six, though four were boys. They are from Meier and McDaniel lines, if anyone is familiar with them. These have excellent temperament and Jake just started crowing this past week.
    Here are Jake, Kira and Cassidy, who are just turning 18 weeks old. Sorry about the glare on the pics. They were taken at 15 weeks old:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Cynthia I never get tired of seeing them. They are beautiful.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  10. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    I unfortunately don't have access to the pictures right now since I am at work, but I can post them later. I will unless you have already had tons posted in response to your question.

My first five chickens were three Delawares and two Black Sex-Links, all great birds and all ordered as month old chicks from McMurray.

The Delawares are extremely sweet and gentle; they are the ones I was able to pick up and pet from the beginnning, without any training or enticement at all.

They lay nearly every day still, even with the shorter days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by