delawares

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by doug59, Dec 21, 2009.

1. doug59

doug59 New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    hello all, new to forum looks great. i'm going to get some delawares and i've read all about what to breed to get a delaware .but my question is if i have a delaware cock and a delaware hen what do i get ? and is all i need to breed delawares. is a delaware cock and hen or do i need the other original breeds to breed delawares. my plan is to get about 6 hen and a rooster and breed delawares. any help is appreciated. thanks doug

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    A Delaware and a Delaware will produce a Delaware. Quality will vary, but is highly dependent upon quality of parent stock.

I think many who are drawn to Delawares have their initial interest sparked by the breed's history in the broiler industry. If this is the case with you, you will need to be very careful in selecting your stock -- you cannot buy just any Delawares and expect big meaties.

I recently received an ALL CAPS e-mail from someone interested in some Delawares. I have one in the Buy/Sell/Trade section and assumed they had read that post and were responding privately. I replied with the availability of my Delawares. Next came:

TIM, I WOULD BE INTERESTED IF YOU CAN GIVE ME A PRICE ON WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO SELL. I WILL BE GLAD TO PAY YOU FOR SHIPPING THEM TO ME BECAUSE I AM NOT NEAR YOU AND MY POST OFFICE WILL EXCEPT THEM...THANKS

I smell a scam (having read about similar fraudulent proposals involving puppies and art).

Anyway, not meaning to hijack your thread -- this is on topic since both are about Delawares, right -- but, thought it useful to warn people to be cautious of unsolicited offers.

Tim​

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. doug59

doug59 New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    thanks, i'm just looking for a good dual purpose bird thats tame and friendly for my backyard flock. i'll be able to pick my stock carefully and keep picking the best birds to breed. thank you for your help. doug

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Doug,
    Get on the other Delaware thread in this section- lots of info and good advice and PICTURES of good birds. Lots of Delaware breeders on it- good people.
    You have chosen a great breed for dual purpose. Most of us have very friendly, people oriented Dellies and just love them -

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A Delaware is not a hybrid, it's a true breed and has been since the 40's. You can't produce a Delaware reliably (why reinvent the wheel, so to speak?) by trying to redo what's already been done. Just find some Delaware chicks or eggs and go for it, though, that is not easily done these days unless you buy the hatchery stock (which often has Columbian Rock bred into the lines).

Tim, you're right to be skeptical of solicitations like that, though no way to say if it's legit or not from that PM.

6. doug59

doug59 New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    thank you all for your reply's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by