1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delawegger Cockerel--updated pic, post #24 7/10

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Jun 13, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

4 1/2 weeks old now, this chick is out of my Delaware rooster over my EE hen, June. Male or female? So far, all the ones that looked like this have been female, but I believe I see some pink in that comb and the stance of this little one almost yells "BOY!" at me. What do you think, folks? If male, will need to rehome as soon as his broody mama, Nugget, gives him up. He may carry the blue egg gene from his bio mom, June.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Looks a little roostery to me. I bet he'll be beautiful!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I say boy.

4. speckledhen

That's two guesses for male, sort of what I've been thinking. June usually produces pullets, but she does have one son, so could be she did it again. He's a hoot, let me tell you. Somehow, he keeps getting into the Blue Orp pen next door. No one pays him any attention, but we've sealed up the only crack we thought he could fit through and again, this morning, saw him standing in Suede's pen with Nugget frantically running back and forth on the proper side of the fence, trying to get to her baby. I just walked in and scooped him up and returned him to mama.

ETA: Again, this morning, Chickie-Boo-Boo (not his name, just a moniker I've been using) escaped from the pen, but outside, not into the adjoining pen. This kid will be the death of me (or himself) yet. Someone needs to claim him so he has a home to go to before my hair starts to turn gray, LOL!

5. speckledhen

Adding a couple pics for you to check out from today. Now, I'm more inclined to say "Any chance it's a pullet? Any??" LOL. I think as soon as Nugget releases this one, I'll be rehoming a pea combed Delawegger cockerel. Will be an unusual EE, don't you think? Guessing he'll carry the blue gene from mom since he has a pea comb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We've hatched out a whole bunch of delaware/EE crosses (I like Delawegger). That definitely looks like the cockerels that have hatched over here.

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I honestly don't know, I just clicked on this to see what on earth a delawegger was. [​IMG] Other than his coloring "he" looks a lot like my EE pullet though.

8. speckledhen

Hahaha, all of us who are hatching chicks from our Delawares and Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas started calling them Delaweggers and it sort of stuck. I think it's a cool moniker!

All the pullets from this EE hen with my Isaac have looked like this chick, but with solid hackles-this one has barred hackles.

The only male from my EE hen with Ike so far has been the interesting guy, below:

[​IMG]

9. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I am not sure, I have a little pullet that I was sure was a cockerel. She carried herself like a rooster, bossed everyone around, and had a very pick comb. Sure enough she turned out to be a pullet [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

I've been calling this goofy kid "Chickie-Boo-Boo". DH said, "Stop calling it that!". I told him to name it then. He said he will when he knows if it's male or female. I told him to pick a unisex name or I'd keep calling it Chickie-Boo-Boo, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by