Delayed lockdown, clear area opposite air cell? Normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barbedwirecat, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I'm in a hovabator still air with auto turn. I'm delaying lockdown a day because I don't feel like they have lost enough moisture at this point.

However, I candled tonight (I normally candle the big end where the air cell is) and I decided to candle all the way round. Small end on most eggs (even the ones that I see movement in, all have veins) had a very small clear area about the size of a dime. It looks like fluid, not air and is surrounded by veins. Is this normal?

2. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    yeah i've seen that before... the chick's just turned some so he's not all the way into the end. i think it happens more with pointy eggs than blunt-ended ones, personally, but i might be wrong there. they can't fill every bit of the egg, or there wouldn't be room to move and turn at hatching.

i would say if you think they didn't lose enough, then wait until they pip and crank up the humidity then. they need it more so they don't get shrink wrapped once the shell is broken.

3. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Looks like everyone is good today. Air cells are BIG BIG and have little dip downs in them. Lockdown time I think [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by