Delayed or dying?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JecaRaven, Oct 7, 2015.

1. JecaRaven

JecaRaven Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    Hanford, California
    I have two silkie eggs in my incubator. throughout incubation they have developed at the same rate, but as of yesterday I have noticed that one egg is developing much faster and the other is rather see through with veins that seem to be receding.The embryo is still moving and kicking. Its not dead... I haven't been able to find any pictures of vein patterns like this anywhere online. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Extra info: They are the only 2 of 9 shipped eggs to get to day 18. I had two early deaths and the rest were scrambled yolks. All of the eggs had loose air cells and the two survivors' air cell didn't completely reattach until after day 7. I have them set point-side-down in chopped up egg carton and tilted 3-7 times a day. They are being incubated in a homemade forced air incubator with a water-heater thermostat, two light bulbs, three thermometers, and two hydrometers. the average temp is at 99 *F and 50% humidity. The last week because the air cells grew a little too fast during the first week at 30%.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I actually have a few like this right now. They are due Saturday so I will soon find out.

3. JecaRaven

May 1, 2014
    Hanford, California
    That is when mine are due too! Good luck with your babies!

4. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Let me know how your hatch goes and I'll do the same. I e never had eggs develop like this before. I was actually going to post something but thought at this point there was not much I could do. I hope your hatch goes well. Post pics of your babies! Silkies are my favorite!!!

5. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    How's your hatch going? None of mine have even pipped yet [​IMG]

6. JecaRaven

May 1, 2014
    Hanford, California
    My bad egg died early and my good egg died without external pip. I opened it up and his beak was clear, but he was dead... I was right when I thought he piped early, but I never heard him peep, so I left him alone...

7. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] That is alway tough. You said silkies right? I breed them. Contact me in the spring and I can get you hooked up with some more eggs.

8. JecaRaven

May 1, 2014
    Hanford, California

How's your hatch going?

I found some local eggs and got one heck of a deal. I bought a dozen and ended up with 31 eggs. With chance of a paint too! I now have 25 in my incubator and 6 under a broody hen. I might have used up my luck for the year... If the power goes out and my broody quits, I might need to wait for spring. Thank you for letting me know you breed, I will pm you if I need to.

I haven't found mention of eggs going through this pattern of death so I'm just call it Angel wings. A seemingly normal forming embryo starts retracting blood vessels while still alive. Ive seen movement for two days after I first see the "wings" pattern before it actually dies.

9. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Mine hatched on day 23. Normally mine have seemed to always hatch on day 20. 94% hatch rate (16/17)... I was really surprised. One of the eggs that I was concerned about did externally pip but never got further and died. I do usually assist my hatches but this happened over night and I did not know. While I am sad about the one I am very grateful for the others. Now I do have one sick chick. Not sure what is going on. It cannot walk. I am getting ready to post to look for help. Fingers crossed.

10. JecaRaven

May 1, 2014
    Hanford, California
    Awesome hatch rate! Congrats! I'm sorry to hear about your sick baby. I hope it gets better. Waiting till day 23 sound like torture!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by