1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I would say the sense of taste can handle multiple flavors, I believe different parts of the mouth and tounge are responsible for different flavors.

Think complimentary flavors, peanut butter good, chocolate good, peanut butter and chocolate, way more gooder. [​IMG]

High end cooks / chefs use multiple flavors, think several layers deep.

Other than that, I have absolutely no idea.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a combination of complementry flavors working together, but the biggest taste difference at the high end resturants is the use of the best ingedrients, fresh herbs and spices, along with a chef that does not allow one taste to overpower the others. .......stan

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Other senses come into it also. Aroma is very important. So is appearance. Texture plays a part. A bit of a crunch is usually better than a mushy feeling, at least for me. A good chef is more of an artistn than a technician.

6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm with Stan, when you go to a high class place everything is really nice - you take the sum of all those high end parts, put it together carefully and serve it at just the right moment - it's a complex ballet of product, skill and delivery...

and most chefs use way more salt on/in dishes than you ever would dream of...

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    bigmike&nan :

Quote:I'm with Stan, when you go to a high class place everything is really nice - you take the sum of all those high end parts, put it together carefully and serve it at just the right moment - it's a complex ballet of product, skill and delivery...

and most chefs use way more salt on/in dishes than you ever would dream of...

and butter and cream.

That's why it's so yummy.​

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Technique matters as well. Poor cutting can ruin a dish, so can cooking unevenly.Cooking (not baking or candymaking, those are straight chemestry) is the art of balancing each ingredient so that it's able to perform best in it's job, weither that's using cornstarch instead of flour to thicken a sauce, so that the dairy doesn't break up, or not over saucing the food so you can't taste anything but the sauce.

Also some tastes will register sooner than others, the most common ways are artificial sweetners that leave an after taste (often metallic), or hot peppers that have a slow burn, and keep getting hotter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by