deleware X buckeye . . .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Oct 14, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Ok I haven't had a glass of wine yet and therefor am not up to taking on the calculator[​IMG] and wouldn't have the foggiest of how to enter these two any way !
    But just following a train of thought in my head and wondered if someone smart might share . . .
    If I crossed a Delware roo with Buckeye hens what would the feather color outcome be . . . or is it even predicatable?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know what a buckeye looks like.....but from most black barred males on most colours, the offspring would be black barred, but with one barring gene in the males. Possibly colour leakage, especially in the male offspring.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    so a Delaware is considerd Black Barred even though they are white? I never would have go that one right !
    thanks

4. Krys109uk

so a Delaware is considerd Black Barred even though they are white? I never would have go that one right !
    thanks

Der.....[​IMG] I'm completely wrong. Sorry about that. I read delaware & thought dominique.[​IMG]

I'm just off my trolley. Delawares are not black barred. They're silver columbian with barring. What colour are the buckeyes?​

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Krys, Buckeyes are colored like the show quality RIRs, very deep mahogany.

6. Krys109uk

Thanks Cynthia. [​IMG]

Buckeye X delaware would be a better cross & get sex links.

Delaware X buckeye would give offspring resembling poorly marked delawares in colour, the males having brassy coloured hackles & probably red leakage on the shoulders.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:So what I am hearing you say is:
    If the MALE is a Buckeye crossed with a Female Deleware then the offspring would be sex linked? What colors would they be?
    But If the male was a Delaware then the offspring would be mostly white with some goldish? hackles and some red on the shoulders?
    Forgive me for asking such silly newbie questions, they must annoy the heck out of you scientists who are discussing stuff so far over my head, but I am trying to envision breeding for a "healthier" back yard type meatie, and just wanted to picture where I was going.
    Thank You for your patience!

8. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    This page is typically referenced when talking about sex links.

The Buckeye was developed from Rhode Island Reds (and others) and I think can be considered "Reds" for the purpose of sex linking. But, I don't know that for 100% sure.

Edit: As has been pointed out later in the thread, there may well be no RIR in Buckeyes. Sorry for the potential misinformation.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:Thank you for the link. Actually Buckeyes have NO RIR in them at all. they were developed about the same time in acompletely different area with well documented lineage. Now tha is not to say that hatchery stock probably contains quite a bit but mine came from very concientous breeeders.

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Many use the RIR or NH with the Delawares for meat cross birds.They are a sex link plus pretty plump for the dinner table.Your also not decreasing the egg production if they are pullets.
    I have seen that "healthier" used with every Delaware cross for meat.What's up with that I wonder? We have Delaware's for eggs and meat and they are not un-healthy birds.Further Delaware's are on the list as one of the most tasty chickens. Delawares were a breed larger families used for meat birds as one will feed a larger family fine but then replaced by the newer Cornish Rock crosses for meat..No need to cross them to get a meat bird...just don't get them from a Hatchery-they are not meaty.
    Oh in case you cant tell it we LOVE our Delaware's [​IMG] they are one of the best triple use chickens around...eggs meat and kids play friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by