Delicate question about Pecky-Sioux's exam

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BigSkyChickens, Jul 21, 2011.

1. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Hi there,
    Pecky-Sioux is sporting some serious junk-in-the-trunk. She's been sporadically lethargic over the past few months. She's been visiting the nest, but usually leaving it empty.

According to the Chicken Health Handbook, she's either egg-bound or internally laying. And after perusing a bunch of internal laying threads, I have a bad feeling about this.

She got Tums w/ yogurt last night for emergency calcium, and then we did a "pelvic exam" this morning hoping to find an egg. When I pushed on her abdomen to try to force the egg toward the vent, it felt squishy......so I backed off and didn't press anymore.

My burning, yet delicate question is.......how far in can you safely put your finger to probe for the stuck egg?

And is the squishiness of her abdomen the indicator for internal laying?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I haven't had to stick my finger in too many chickens booties (but its unfortunately had to happen), so bear with me. I had a pullet that had layed maybe 2 eggs before she became eggbound. So naturally, up went the finger to help her out. I coated my gloved finger liberally with olive oil and lubed her up as well as I could. The egg was pretty far up there, and I was in as deep as I could get (this is starting to sound like a really bad dirty movie [​IMG] ). I was eventually able to work it down a little, and once it hit the oil it kind of slid out on it's own. The fact that her abdomen is squishy is what is really worrisom. I was dealing with an intact egg. I would be worried she's developed an infection. I'm not sure whether to call her an internal layer, but from most of the posts I've seen about them, they usually all end the same. If she were mine, I would cull. And if you go through the trouble to cull, you may as well go through the trouble of doing an internal exam. As gross as it may sound, I've always felt better after I've opened them up and figured out what I was dealing with. Sorry your hen is sick [​IMG] and sorry my post wasn't much help. Good luck!

3. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Thanks. That is helpful. Pecky is actually doing pretty well. I haven't examined her vent again, because I don't want to stress her, unnecessarily. I will keep a close eye on her and make sure she doesn't suffer. Yesterday she was the first one out to the food, so that's a good sign. I wish I had better knowledge of who is laying what. It's like a conspiracy. I think they are all covering for each other, even though I promised these girls they could stay forever.....

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    For an eggbound hen, which I suspect in this instance; soak her up to her sides in a container of warm water and gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. Then wear a disposable plastic glove and put olive oil on your finger and insert it into her vent checking for obstructions. No need to roto-rooter her, you might injure her. Withdraw your finger and apply a little olive oil around her vent area. Soaking her in warm water expands her innards making the egg easier to travel through the oviduct, massaging helps move the egg move along, finger in the vent stretches and lubes the insides making it easier for her to lay the egg. I have seen instances where the egg is laid in the water while doing this procedure. Good luck.

5. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    The latest development: When Pecky came off the nest, the other day, she was picking up straw with her beak and putting the straw on each of her sides and/or her back. Hmmm.... broody behavior? Odd.
    Thanks, I will give the bath a try.

6. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    Quote:Just wondering, really have no idea, wouldn't olive oil make for bacteria developing?
    I would think something like KY Jelly is better...no?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    6chick*start :

Quote:Just wondering, really have no idea, wouldn't olive oil make for bacteria developing?
    I would think something like KY Jelly is better...no?

Bacteria cannot grow in olive oil. It has been used for thousands of years as a preservative.​

8. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    And I think the Romans used olive oil for bathing. [​IMG]

Just a quick update on Pecky-Sioux: We gave her a bath last weekend, but were not able to restrain her well enough for very much massage. As soon as her bum was clean, she was outta there! At least her big fluffy butt was clean...

I noticed she is starting to compensate on the roost at night, positioning herself so she can balance a little better. I picked her up yesterday, and she was SO heavy on the back end. I do think she is laying internally, but we will watch her closely and make sure she does not suffer. She seems pretty comfortable right now, although I sense some general malaise from her about not laying eggs.

If I do have to cull her I will definitely do an internal exam. Now that I've gotten into meat chickens, I am MUCH more comfortable with that idea. I do ultimately want to find out as much as I can about the health of my flock.

Thanks all, for the kinds words & support.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by