Delicate question, not sure exactly how to ask this....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Sep 23, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay, I know that size means nothing to a roo. If he's a healthy roo and there are hens around nature is going to take its course.

So, if you have a 2 lb. roo and the only hens available to him weigh in the 8 to 9 lb. range, can he be....ummmmm....satisfied with his work? Even if he doesn't have a snowballs chance in Florida of actually accomplishing the task at hand?

In other words, does the "kiss" have to happen or being male does the rooster think the attempt was enough? [​IMG]

2. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] You can come up with some of the darnest questions . [​IMG]

reminds me of ''kids say the darnest things''. Gotta love ya!

I don't know the answer to your question but I would think he would need extra calories cause he sure would be burning them. [​IMG]

4. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    Actually, I think it's an interesting and worthwhile question, one that I've wondered myself as I see my Silkie roosters making ludicrous attempts.

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Are you asking - if he's dipping his pen does he care if he puts the ink in the right spot? If roos are like humans, I doubt it matters as long as the ink moves smoothly. [​IMG]

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I'm curious to know this too: my little cochin roo is desperately trying to "make his" some much larger ladies as well and so far I have not seen any of his desires truly fulfilled... [​IMG]

7. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:My only roo is a Silkie also....I was wondering the same thing......[​IMG]

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So terribly true. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Kinda makes you worry about them breaking a bone when they fall off huh? [​IMG]

10. myfester

myfester Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    [​IMG] Yes, your lil roo will get the job done. [​IMG] I have a bantam Cochin Roo...all my girls are standard sized Barred Plymouth Rocks and Buff Orpingtons. Well, after one of my buff's went broody, she hatched some eggs. Well, now I have a bantam barred plymouth rock Cochin! It looks like the Rocks, but small and feathered feet. I've seen him in action too. He looks like a lil cowboy during mounting. He grabs a girl by the neck and swings his body up over her. [​IMG] He's not always successful and she flips him over her head. Quite comical looking! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by