Delicious mean rooster

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Ifowldown, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Ifowldown

Ifowldown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Had a rooster that attacked my 3 year old. He found himself in the smoker the next day. 4 hour smoke with pecan wood made him extra tasty.

[​IMG]

2. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Hope he was good and tasty, nice looking smoker, it looks new.

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    YUM! That smoker looks fabulous, too!

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Sweet smoked goodness! I need to get me one of those! [​IMG]

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    The bird looks very good...I'm impressed with the smoker. The inside of mine is solid black.

6. Ifowldown

Apr 12, 2011
    It was new.

I just happened to get it the day my son was attacked. I bought it to try and smoke some salmon we got from an Alaskan fishing trip. The UPS man dropped it off about 10 minutes before the rooster problem.

So after a 410 shell to the head, I got it plucked and cleaned, and was trying to decide whether to put him in the freezer for later. A quick look at the recipe book that came with the smoker, and I found a recipe for smoked whole chicken. So after marinating overnight, he christened my new smoker.

For those who might be interested in getting a smoker, amazon has them on sale right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Bradley-BTIS1...2DNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315936925&sr=8-1

It works great. After the rooster, I smoked up a batch of salmon which turned out wonderful. Last weekend I did a beef brisket, that still has me and all our friends wanting more.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can I ask why the skin is pure black? Is that from a special rub, or is that normal when smoking a chicken? (I've never done that before.)

8. Ifowldown

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:It is partially due to the rub, and also the smoking. The entire bird was covered in a mix of spices. The smoke also tends to darken the outside, forming a "crust". Once the skin was peeled back, the meat was very tender and juicy, with a nice smokey flavor.

The same thing happened when I smoked my beef brisket. The outside looked like a black char, but it was actually just a nice flavorful crust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by