Delightful Broody adoption! -Our first!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haffertee, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Haffertee

Haffertee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2014
    Last Thursday we brought our broody Black Jersey Giant hen, "Emu" into the garage with her six wooden eggs that she had been setting on. Around 8:30 pm we swapped out 4 eggs for 4 chicks. K stayed out there in the dark to makes sure they were accepting each other. We were a bit nervous, but they were all well in the morning! 3 days later, we brought 3 more chicks home from the feed store. Late in the afternoon we added these 3 to her brood and took the last two eggs. :) She has accepted all 7 beautifully!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

That is a very good mama hen- hang onto her whatever you do. Sometimes they refuse chicks - so she is a VERY good broody hen.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WOW, that's cool!

The first 4 not surprising...but 3 days later she took on more?!?!

I agree, keep her around for sure!

4. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Amazing :)

5. kkwinwy

kkwinwy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Very exciting!! We have 8 days to go for my broody hen's first hatch. Fingers crossed!

6. Haffertee

Haffertee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2014
    We were quite nervous about the attempt. But she'd been broody for at least six weeks! She didn't seem too impressed at first, but she settled into this like a pro.

Yes, 2 of the first 4 were 13 days old, and the other two were 6 days old. When we got the other three, one was 8 days old and the last two were 1 day old.

My daughter was just watching them & eating a graham cracker. Emu looked at her as if to say, "Aren't you going to share?" So she offered her a piece, which she immediately pecked and knocked to bits to share with her chicks!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by