Delivery time for Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nipper75, Apr 5, 2011.

1. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    Should I expect chicks to arrive at PO in the morning or is it anytime throughout the day? I hope the PO calls me. I spoke to someone there the other day and she was very rude.. I'm trying to plan my day... Should I call off of work?

2. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    From what I understand it's usually morning, but could be later. I would take off, if only for the fact that you want to be able to keep an eye on them the first day, make sure they are drinking, don't have pasty butt and that your heat lamp is working ok. Congrats on your new fuzzy butts!

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    The post office may not know when the chicks will arrive, but I have been really happy with their delivery. I know a lot of people have received their call in the morning, sometimes really early. I received my calls (I've ordered twice) late in the afternoon. My chicks arrived on the express truck. [​IMG]
    Yes, take the day off! [​IMG]

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I ordered my peeps from mypetchicken. My peeps got on a plane at 9:30pm yesterday in Cleveland, OH and arrived at BWI (Baltimore, MD) this morning at 7:41am and in their new home at 3:30pm. The didn't have a gel pack in their box, but did have a warmer. I called my post office this morning to see if the peeps had come yet because I had to take my Mom to a Dr's appt today at 1:00pm. They told me they weren't on the truck this morning and would prob b here tomorrow. JUST as I was walking into the Dr's appt with my mom, the post office called and said that another mail truck had come in at lunch (which occassionally happens) and the chicks were here! I live in a small area too, but they said they had the box close to the heater and would take care of them til I was able to get there! All 15 babies are wonderful! They r eating, drinking, pooping, running around, chirping, falling over sleeping...they r very healthy and happy! But, they r tired and don't want flash bulbs flashing in their eyes tonight so pics will have to wait. Good Luck and keep us posted! I hope u have as good of an experience as I have so far!

5. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    At our PO, the second they arrive on the truck, you get called. They can be very chirpy at 5am [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't recall ever getting them in mid-day, but just in case take the day off. [​IMG]

6. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    Good news!!! since the lady I spoke with the other day was a complete goof, I went ahead today and called the closest distribution center and guess what???? The girl who answered the phone is one of my best friends!!! I knew she worked for the PO but I thought she was an hour away but she took a supervisor job here where we live!!!! She said she will get them for me as soon as they arrive on Tuesday, if they arrive on Tuesday... They are scheduled to ship out on Monday, so.....!!!! I hope it works out but it's looking good!!!!!!

7. onesweetfarm

onesweetfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I got the call at noon and they said they were an hour away. By 1:30 I had my chicks. I took the entire week off of work because I heard so many stories of them being delivered days early/late. Now I have the rest of the week to keep a watchful eye on them.

[​IMG]

8. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:That is sooo cool! [​IMG] Enjoy your new chicks and post pictures when you can. [​IMG]

9. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I don't live in a rural area but my PO called me at 6:45am last year for my delivery. They really couldn't wait to get them out of their care and into mine. I picked them up by 7:15 around back.

E

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by