Della's peafowl

Della Mae

Hatching
Oct 26, 2020
My peacock has had droopy wings and no energy, not roosting like he was before. Not eating very well. He is opening his mouth and shaking his head. Not having any obvious trouble breathing. Ive looked inside his mouth and down his throat with a light and dont see anything. I have thought about worms and have wormed him with some wazine dewormer yesterday and shot some mixed with water in his mouth this morning. What else do i need to look for. Any help is appreciated.

KsKingBee

Crowing
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
Wazine is useless except for roundworms. He is showing signs of an onset of a respiratory infection probably caused by a worm load. Go to one of the farm stores and get some Safeguard for Goats and give him three ml orally for five days and repeat in ten days. If you can, take a fecal sample to the vet and get a fecal exam to find what kind of worms you may possibly have. If round or cecal worms a one-day treatment will suffice, if capillary or gape or tapeworms then five days of treatment is required. An antibiotic such as Tylan 200 will also help protect him from the infection that is coming on.

Della Mae

Hatching
Oct 26, 2020
Wazine is useless except for roundworms. He is showing signs of an onset of a respiratory infection probably caused by a worm load. Go to one of the farm stores and get some Safeguard for Goats and give him three ml orally for five days and repeat in ten days. If you can, take a fecal sample to the vet and get a fecal exam to find what kind of worms you may possibly have. If round or cecal worms a one-day treatment will suffice, if capillary or gape or tapeworms then five days of treatment is required. An antibiotic such as Tylan 200 will also help protect him from the infection that is coming on.

Della Mae

Hatching
Oct 26, 2020
Thank you so much. Im at the end of my wits. Ive been so worried about him. Id hate to lose him.

Dany12

Crowing
Aug 20, 2011
Hungary
You take everything backwards!
From worms an adult peacock does not die!
But Blackhead ... yes!
"droopy wings and no energy" MAJOR symptoms!

KsKingBee

Crowing
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
Dany, when you give short cryptic answers with very little context you make the reader assume your meaning. We can not read your mind. I can assure you that mature birds can and do die from having a worm load and from the resulting secondary infections. Could the OP's bird have Blackhead? Sure it could but they need to rule out what the problem is not before concluding what it is so that the proper treatment can be given to the bird.

Top Bottom