1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dels, White Rock, Coloured Boilers ????????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by newchickens2009, Sep 23, 2009.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I Live In The Bahamas N I Don't Have The Luxery Of Ordering Cornish X When I Want Meat Birds. What I Am Hoping For Is 2 B Able 2 Raise My Own Meat Birds. I Know That There Is Nothing Like A Cornish X But I Also Know That U Can't Breed Them As Well. I Also Know That Delawares Were Once The "meat Breed" So Should I Raise Them Or What Is The Best Breed 4 Me 2 Raise On My Own N Keep Breeding For Fresh Wonderful Home Grown Meat? Thanks In Advance For Any Help N God Bless!!!![​IMG]

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Have you heard of the Colored Rangers from JM Hatchery? I raised those this year and loved them. They're as close as you can get to a Cornish X, but WITHOUT the health issues...plus, they reproduce! If you do a search in BYC for them, you'll find lots of topics. Good luck!

3. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    If i was you i would get some of the heritage breeds that we used to use for meat birds before the CX's were around.

The ones that are proven in history for meat birds are :
    - New Hampshire x Delaware
    - Barred Rock x White Rock
    - Rhode Island Reds x Dark Cornish

No matter what you will need to make a cross of something but these are a few that are proven, now to get good parent stock could be a whole new mission. But you'll need to have separate breeding pens to keep the pure breeds pure and the then use the offspring to make the crosses. It is not economical here in the states to do a such rthing as we can order them cheaper and easier then we can raise them our selves plus you get a better product when you buy them.

4. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Quote:YES I HAVE HEARD OF THEM BUT I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT THEY WOULDN'T REPRODUCE? IF THEY CAN I SURLEY WILL GIVE IT A TRY. THANK U!

5. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Quote:IF I GOT A GOOD PARENT STOCK WITH THESE N DECIEDED 2 USE THEM 4 MEAT BIRDS, HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE 4 THEM 2 GROW 2 A DECIENT BUTCHERING AGE?

6. Harp Turkey Ranch

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    well according to the old books and articles it took them 16-20 weeks to get a good size carcass back in the day.

7. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Thanks 4 The Quick Respond. I Defiently Will Keep This Info Has I Cointue 2 Explore My Options. Once Again Thank U N God Bless!!!!

8. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Has Anyone Else Had Any Luck Breeding The Colored Broilers?

9. Harp Turkey Ranch

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Quote:You can not breed them. They are hybrids and they will not breed true all their offspring will be all over the board on weights

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by