Demand pesticide and Archer for fleas in the yard. Bad for chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by encorepistol, Aug 6, 2010.

1. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    I've got a flea problem ongoing still even with using DE now. I called an exterminator to come out but when they got here they were afraid to spray due to the chickens in the yard. I let mine free range 100 % of the time right now except for a few that are caged. I can't find any clear cut answers as to if it will harm poultry or not and the label says it can be sprayed in poultry houses but covering food and water before applications. He was afraid even after it dried in the yard that the residual would kill the chickens due to their eating habits which would lead to ingestion of pesticide. He said the pesticide would kill all birds which made no sense to me since it is widely used and I don't think they would allow something to be sprayed that would be that toxic as to kill every bird that came into contact with it. I can get the pesticides and spray myself which is not a problem but not at the risk of killing all my chickens but at the same time all the other solutions I've tried aren't getting it done and it has to stop. DE hasn't been the cure I'd hoped for as far as killing the fleas but I like it for other things.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Call the manufacturer and ask them for copies of the MSDS (Material safety and data sheets). I'd also ask if their products are harmful to pets and livestock. I'd wait until I had copies of the MSDS before I sprayed for legal purposes should anything happen.

There are less toxic alternatives to bug removal. I would be worried about soaking my living environment in something known to kill animals (not just bugs), but that's just me. I may learn to live with the flea problem before doing something that extreme.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by