Demanding little babies made me do it!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hinotori, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I have my 4 week old rocks and brahmas in a dog house coop with hardware cloth on the front door where they can see out and the rest of the flock can see in at them. I've been giving supervised range time to the babies since they see me and cry and cry to get out. When I let everyone else out of the big coop this morning, it was screaming cheeps of "Let Us Out!" and they were flying against the hardware cloth. Not even a treat could get them to stop. So I let them out. Now they don't want to go in. They want to stay out with the bigger chickens. The babies stay by the coop and awning and don't venture out far.

They've been napping in the sun, eating grass, and have surprisingly, pecked back a couple of the 20 week old birds down a peg on the order it seems. Well the peckers are on the bottom of the order under even the silkies and thought the babies were easy targets. It is now peaceful with them all out.

2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww, cute! Yeah, like typical children those babies never want to go in when it's bed time, lol! As you probably know, they'll most likely need help going "to bed" in a timely manner, but they are sure to catch on soon. Good luck!

3. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    They got tired and were trying to bed down outside in the straw. Only one was inside. I herded the rest over and they all willingly went in, grabbed a few bites, then layed in a pile of quiet happy cheeps and closed their eyes. It was such a sweet picture. Much different than the Chicken Wrestling Federation that goes on in the big coop at bedtime.

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    hahaha isn't that always the case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by