Dementia in dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamawolf544, Nov 1, 2010.

1. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    We pet lovers know that they are family not just dogs. My little Dakota's Tiny Dancer also known as Bubba Brown is my little 5 pound choclate and tan male chi.
    He is 14 1/2 and so is his little 1/2 sister Kay-Dee. I have lost 3 fur babies in the last 18 months, they were all old a couple were rescues and they all lived in the house. Sandi was my fawn female chi and she ran the roost. But we battled cushings disease for 2 years with her and we finally had to let her go. Then Shasta who we had since she was 2 days old passed from old age, Ruby died from kidney failure soon after.
    Well my little Bubba went blind, deaf and dementia in the same week. He is on meds but I dont think they are working very well. My heart is breaking. [​IMG] The joke in the family has always been they would have to put Bubba in the casket with me when I go.
    No preaching please, I do know when to let go and let them cross the rainbow bridge. And I have all my babies cremated and on my dresser in my room. Yes I am a little strange, but they are my babies.
    But has anyone else had a dog with dementia and tried any alternative treaments. He is eating and drinking. Will play sometimes. And every once in a while I get a kiss that I always treasure. But I so miss my Bubba.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I know what you're going through. My furry crew of six ranges between 10 and 14. We lost three this year. :hugsTry just giving him time. With all those problems at once, he may have had a stroke. My 11 yr old Great Dane mix had one last summer and after three days of tears and dread, she started to turn around. She isn't playing like a puppy, but she eats, potties outside, smiles and comes to thank me for her dinner. I hope you get to keep your tiny guy a little longer. [​IMG]

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I am so very sorry you are having to go through this. We had to put one of our dogs down in June. It is always heartbreaking and never gets any easier. I feel for you.

4. mamawolf544

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    Thanks for the kindness.
    I just went and got him some baby food meat and he ate the whole little jar, growling away at his Sis.
    Maybe he doesn't like what I have been cooking him. LOL

5. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I've had a dog with dementia. It is very hard. Harder, I think, than dealing with a physical ailment. We tried anipryl, but it didn't help. My Freddie went from being voted "Mr. Congeniality" in obedience class and loving everyone to growling and snapping at his own family. He would stand and bark at walls, completely forgot he wasn't supposed to potty in the house, tried to pick fights with my younger male, etc. With my vet's input we decided that his quality of life really wasn't very good despite being in fairly good shape physically. We made the difficult decision to euthanize him at 14 1/2. Sometimes it's what is best, but it is never easy. I'm sorry I don't have a better outcome to tell you about, but that was my experience.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    "blind, deaf and dementia in the same week" makes me think maybe there is something physical and *specific* that has occurred, be it kidney or liver problems or something structural in the brain (stroke or a growth). Any of which can cause disorientation or personality changes.

I mean, I don't know how much you necessarily are interested in *pursuing* any of those possibilities, since in an old animal there is often a limit to how fixable they are even if you can identify a particular problem... but I am mentioning it just in case there is anything else going on with him that makes you think "a ha, gee, that rings a bell" and maybe points you toward something where treatment could at least *help*.

It's really hard though. My most-beloved cat, when she was in the later stages of kidney failure, had a fair bit of confusion and 'not being herself', and it was really tough to know what to do. I ended up just sort of organizing the household to keep her as happy as possible for as long as possible. (e.t.a. - perhaps some of the "dementia" is just confusion and frustration and upset-ness from being blind and deaf? In which case a similar sort of system might help -- restrict the animal to a few rooms, don't move the furniture or other objects, use obvious detectable clues like smelly food and different-texture mats, try to help him adjust, that sort of thing...?)

Big hug, best wishes for you both,

Pat

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I understand

I am saying prayers for you and Bubba

8. mamawolf544

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    We took him to the vet as soon as we noticed something was wrong with his hearing. They have treated my pets for a very long time. He did do the walking in circles and barking at the wall but that has stopped since he has been on the meds. The vet just says he's an old boy and except for a little arthritis he is in good shape. So no stroke or anything.
    I just hate it, like we all do. They give us so much and it breaks my heart.
    I really am thinking I am going to let him go across the bridge soon.

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Our Toy Fox Terrier will be 14 in March.

Tess has changed so much just recently. Many accidents in the house, not going when she does go out--like she forgets why she went out, does not want to go out with Daddy which was one of her favorite things.

She was trained at a very early age where property lines were and she never crossed them, even when chasing a cat. About a month ago I had her out to go potty and she just took off and ran...I could not keep up...did not have my shoes on...by the time I got my shoes she was out of sight. She just happened to go to the church on the next street where my neighbor attends and they had just come out...he saw her and put her in his pickup and brought her home. She had never done anything like that in all of her life. She acts confused and scared all the time.

She acts like she does not hear us when we call her and refuses to do what she normally would do without fail.

My husband and I are both upset at the thought of losing her...she has been the best dog we ever had...smartest, most loving...the first dog that was our dog...not our children's dog.

Just needed someone to listen...most people think we are strange because we are so attached to our dog, 3 cats, rabbits and chickens. [​IMG] I enjoy my animals more than being with people.

10. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my 17 yr old chi, Tweeda, she has dementia, she can no longer hear, she is afraid to walk down the steps now,she has lost most of her teeth, and cant see very well, but the vet says shes in good health other than that, it is a challenge, but we love her, we have had her for so long shes family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by