Denagard cures mycoplasma?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SilkieCanada, Jul 4, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Is that a myth?

2. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    wow no reply til now... here's what I've learned since I bought some birds that turned out to have it. They were fine for eight months, so my 4 week quarantine didn't help.

Denagard can control Mycoplasma. Once one bird has it, more than likely they all have or carry it. You can diagnose it with a blood test on a live bird, or autopsy on a dead bird. We send to CAHFS Lab at Tulare or UC Davis, your state should have an equivalent lab.

I was told to give 8-10cc Denagard (from QC Supply or Valley Vet Supply) per gallon of drinking water for the first 7-10 days EVERY month. If I slack off on that, I get birds with sniffles, pneumonia, & a few die. Some have a chronic sneeze, some have a slight ripple in their egg, and fewer eggs. I no longer show or sell birds, and have a closed flock with strick biosecurity to avoid sharing it.

Denagard is very bitter, so some people add sugar to the water. Make sure there are no unmedicated water sources.

NPIP does not require testing for it, only for diseases (iirc) that can spread to humans. They can test for it on request.

One poster said she treated it with Olive Leaf extract.

Good luck, and I hope this is in time for someone if not for the OP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by