1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Denham Springs, Louisiana Laws & Ordinances??

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by ChetLavigne, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ChetLavigne

ChetLavigne Hatching

Feb 17, 2015
    Can anyone help me? I am new to BYC and I am in search of any Laws and/or Ordinances for Denham Springs, Louisiana. I've never raised chickens before and I'm planning on getting some but, I wanted to make sure its ok in my area. I've emailed our city council but have yet to get a reply from them. I am planning on getting 15 chickens total. 5 RIR's, 5 EE's & 5 Cream Legbars. All hens-No roosters. I live in a subdivision with 1.2 acre lots. There is no home owners association and we are outside the city limits. There are no specified subdivision/neighborhood rules on my house/land deed. My chickens will be penned and/or cooped 24/7. Not allowed to free range. Are there any licenses or permits I would need to obtain beforehand? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

2. LessiesLayers

LessiesLayers Hatching

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm from Breaux Bridge and called the City Zoning Dept. They told me that I couldn't raise livestock within the city limits and quoted the zoning regulations. I'm gonna have 6 chicks by the end of the week and plan on taking my chances. I've checked with neighbors and they have no qualms about it. (6 dogs v.s 6 chicks?) I don't think they'd appreciate any roosters! LOL I don't think you will have any problems outside of your city limits.

3. ChetLavigne

ChetLavigne Hatching

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks, I didn't even think to call the City Zoning Dept. I'll give that a shot next. I think I'll be fine because some of my neighbors already have chickens lol, I don't know exactly which neighbors but, I hear roosters crowing at night in two different directions around my house. I just wanted to have a permit or license on hand if I ever needed to show it to anyone interested. :)

4. Chet,
    Sadly, it looks as though the City of Durham Springs has adopted the cookie cutter block of Municipal Ordinance from Muni-code as their base of legislature. The Municipal Code for Denham Springs, Louisiana is here: http://www.denhamsprings.us/business.html
    The specific chapter is here: https://www.municode.com/library/la/denham_springs/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_CH18AN
    • Sec. 18-123. - Keeping livestock.

It shall be unlawful for any person within the city to keep, possess or maintain any livestock unit as defined by the United States Department of Agriculture on any parcel of land unless such parcel of land shall have a minimum of one acre plus a minimum of one-half acre for each additional livestock unit.
      (Code 1987, ยง 4:151; Ord. No. 09-13, art. I, 4-14-09)
    You may be able to circumvent the ordinance (to county or state regs) if you live outside official city limits.
    Good Luck!
    Super K

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: