1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Denizli chickens ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mychooks, Sep 25, 2009.

1. mychooks

mychooks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Live Oak
    Does anyone have any information on Denizli chickens? Anyone here keep them ?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Ahhhhh! Those are the so called "Long Crowers"! heh... I never heard their real name before! No idea, except, I wouldn't want em! Normal Crowers work for me!!! [​IMG] little joke there, I can see the interest value. [​IMG]

4. mychooks

mychooks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Live Oak
    Quote:?

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:?

the popcorn munching means he's camped out waiting to see what people say cause they're interested!

[​IMG] [​IMG] hehe.. me too since I know so little about them!

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Someone found an ad on ebay last year and posted it. I bid and ended up winning them. I only had one hatch and it was a boy. He was very skittish and reminded me of a game bird. I lost him with my other birds back in the spring.

He had started crowing quietly and for around 7 to 10 seconds. It was cute.

7. Poultriary

Poultriary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    This is a bit of a stale thread, but I did want to post the best link I've ever seen for information on the Denizli breed. It is actually a Turkish tourist info website; but, the author is from Turkey and it certainly reads like it was well researched even if it doesn't cite any references.

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/denizli_rooster.htm

I'd love to get them, but I'm afraid my wife would send them strait to the stew pot after the first crow. If I knew I could get one with a soft crow, I'd probably get by with it.

What I was wondering about is if they may have been developed out of the Faoumi, at least in part. The ones available on ebay seem to bear a definite resemblance. Of course, they may have been the logical choice to breed them to if too small of a population were brought into the US to start with.

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    WANT!!!...

but too bad i wouldn't be ale to hide one of them... but i'm sure the city code guy wouldn't recognize that as a rooster...

9. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    There's a guy in Texarkana(spelling?) Ark that raises them and advertise them on some bird auctions. I can't wait to get some!

10. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    The only long crower's I can find for sale are tomaru,so I ordered some. If any one finds denizli I would be very interested in some stock.thanks for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by