Dennis' Playhouse Coop--deep litter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by moodusnewchick, Sep 4, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Does anyone with the playhouse coop type design use the deep litter method? I was planning on it, but it doesn't seem to work for me. The ammonia smell was just too much. I'm not sure if I just didn't do the deep litter method correctly, or if the area is too small to work.

2. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

We sort of do deep litter in our Playhouse coop. I put about 2-3 inches of pine shavings on the bottom but I change them every week because the coop is so small there is no room for it to really build up as in the classic method. This might be overkill because I could probably just pick out the poo and not use so much, but again the coop is small and they seem happier with fresh bedding on a regular basis. Plus I hate that amonia smell!

I did have to nail a piece of wood about 2-3 inches high across the inside of the door to keep them from kicking the pine shavings into the run. I think in the winter the pine shavings will add some extra insulation. The floor is covered with viynl self stick tile as well for easy cleaning.

A 5 gallon bucket is perfect for measuring out the right amount of shavings with this size coop.

~Phyllis

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  3. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Thanks Phyllis,

I have the vinyl flooring to for ease in cleaning. I did some more research on deep litter, seems it works best on dirt. I never realized that. So more frequent changes it is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by