Dental Crown... Owwwieeee!!!! Nerve damage? Gah!!!!!!!!

Camelot Farms

Chickenista
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
VA,TN,NC Tri-State area
I had a temporary crown put in last Tuesday. And OMGosh, I am still in agony after 8 days. Is this normal or am I just wimpy?

They put the crown in because my back molar had a crack in it making it sensitive to heat and cold. The crowned tooth itself actually feels pretty good. I can put hot or cold on it and no pain. I can bite on it and its fine. But sweet Jesus the whole area around it hurts like heck.

My jaw, the gum around the tooth feel like someone lit them on fire or jammed them with a hot poker. And all of the teeth from the molar up to my bottom front teeth ache as though they are being pinched together. Sort of like when you get a piece of food caught and you cant find the dental floss.

If I dont take 800mg of Ibuprofen every 6-7 hours, I am literally in agony.

I saw the dentist yesterday while DD was getting a filling. He looked at it and poked around in there and said it all looked fine but maybe I had some nerve damage from the novacaine. Scuse me?
Nerve damage? That cant be good but he acted very nonchalant about it and said to keep taking the ibuprofen.

Til when? My kidneys shut down from an Ibu-overload?

Anyone have experience with a crown?

Mahonri....where are you???????

I would see another dentest, sometimes a tooth can go bad and abcess ,xrays should have been done.

Go see another dentist... I'd worry about it being infected.
hugs.gif
fl.gif

I just had a temp. crown put on, on last Thursday and it still aches a bit. My dentist told me if there is any hot feeling or sharp pain to call back so I haven't called yet because I can handle the little bit that it aches, but if it don't quit soon I'm calling back. If it is bothering you that much I would call them and tell them that something isn't right and you need to be seen. Oh, also my dentist said that the cavity was kind of deep and if there is a problem then they might have to do a root canal on the tooth. I stopped short of telling her that if there is a problem then that tooth is coming out.

I agree with Redhen. I had the start of a root canal on a Friday, and was in agony all weekend. (Worst Superbowl Sunday of my life!) It got infected. After one day of antibiotics the pain was gone.

Quote:
He saw me yesterday and did a full exam of the crown and said it all looked fine. No infection. No swelling. No irritation. He even used that little hook thingy to make sure that no extra cement had gotten left behind to cause the squeezing sensation. After he pushed around on the injection site I thought I would DIE. The pain after that was so intense that I chewed 2 of the Ibuprofen hoping to get it to work faster.
sad.png

Even my upper jaw and teeth hurt. I guess the phrase 'nerve damage' is freaking me out
sad.png

I had that same problem on my last crown. Same issue with sensitivity on the old tooth due a crack in filling. Even with 2 shots of novocaine I thought I was dying while they ground the original tooth down. The first 2-3 days that the temp crown went on it was ok. I know it was a little too large and pushing into the teeth in front of in. That kind of made the teeth in front of it hurt a bit. Not a huge issue though. Once I started biting on there a bit I think I must have put a hole or dent in that temporary. OMG it was just like the day he was grinding it off. Don't dare breathe on it or eat/drink anything cold. Once the permanent went on, everything felt fine again.

If your gum tissue is a little infected, try gargling with some salt water at first. After a couple of days go for the Listerine. You could try that at first but it will generally make your hair stand on end if it is already sensitive.

Did they do a root canal on that tooth? If you have a crack beforehand, it could have likely had a cavity deep in the tooth. Could be facing an abscess if that has no way to drain. If the whole side of your face starts throbbing, definitely get back in and they can tell with a quick x-ray.

Quote:
Nope, no root canal. They had done an Xray about 3 months ago when I first went in for the sensitivity. He said that there was no problem with the tooth at that moment but that it was ready to crack. The sensitivity kept getting worse so I went back in. They did another XRay and it showed a crack. A week later I was getting the temporary crown. So the tooth cracked sometime in the last 3 months and the Xray 2 weeks ago didnt show a cavity.

He blew cold air on it yesterday and tapped it with that metal thingy....no pain. He was surprised since the day that he saw me 2 weeks ago I nearly came up out of the chair when he blew air on it. I thought I was die-ing...
sad.png

I sure hope that the real crown helps but it doesnt get done for 3 more weeks. I will be begging for morphine by then
hmm.png

I hate dental pain.
sad.png

How long does your dentist leave on a TEMPORARY crown? No longer than a week I hope!

I had a cracked tooth that my dentist immediately sent me to get a root canal in.
I guess I broke it eating popcorn!? Watch out for those seeds!!!! :hmm

I had ALLOT of pain after getting my temp crown on after my root canal. My whole jaw ached for weeks. My pain was not that extensive though, and I would def. talk to your dentist if it continues to get worse. Did you tell him you are worried about nerve damage? He might be able to help you figure out if that is really the problem, or quell your fears if it's not
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom