1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dented eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Imthegranny, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Imthegranny

Imthegranny New Egg

Dec 30, 2016
    Edgewood, NM
    I am new to the chicken business. I have 13 hens ranging in age 1-4(maybe)?
    Some days I get 0, some days 1, some days 2. Once a week, or so, one of the eggs is dented and very fragile
    They are free range hens + fed Purina Layer pellets with calcium. Some of the shells are very hard, except an occasionally very soft. AS in it breaks if I hold too hard. Any ideas?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I had a similar issue with some older red sex link hens. They were wonderful layers, and their eggs were jumbo in size, even at a few years old. But, they had fragile shells, no matter what I fed/supplemented. Since that was my experience, it's my first thought about your birds. High production layers can have issues as they get older, and that's one of them. You can try offering additional calcium (oyster shell is good) besides what's in the feed and see if that helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

I've had a few that just didn't make good shells.

4. Imthegranny

Imthegranny New Egg

Dec 30, 2016
    Edgewood, NM
    Thanks
    I just don't know who is laying it, and how old she is. Is there a way to tell ages?
    I supplement with calcium, and have just started toasting their egg shells, and crushing them, to put in their food

5. Angels Eggs

Angels Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2017
    Peru, Indiana
    You can do that? Toast there shells and feed it back to your chickend?

6. Imthegranny

Imthegranny New Egg

Dec 30, 2016
    Edgewood, NM
    Sure. But they have to be "toasted" or cooked. Otherwise they are cannibals, and will then eat their own eggs. It's a way to add calcium to their diet.
    I put mine on a cookie sheet and on top of my wood stove.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Feeding egg shells raw, or not even crushed, is not going to turn your chicken into cannibals or egg eaters.

Feeding back egg shells can contribute to the calcium intake needed,
    BUT....they should not be mixed into feed.
    Put them in a separate container mixed in with some oyster shell - which is a better calcium supplement.

If you're feeding Purina Layer pellets with calcium they shouldn't even need extra calcium, but it never hurts to make it available.

When a flock is all eating the same things, and only one bird has weak shells it's the bird that has the problem rather than the feed.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Older hens can start having issues like this, and need oyster shell on the side available at all times. It's probably one of the older hens, and may continue regardless of management, or not. Egg shells are not an adequate calcium supplement for high producing hens, oyster shell is better. Are you using supplemental lighting? How long have you had these birds? Any mites/ lice or signs of sneezing? Might you have as egg eater? Lots of variables can influence laying rates and shell thickness! BTW, right now I have 43 hens and pullets, some elderly, and am getting about ten eggs per day! Spring can't come soon enough! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by