1. cherrycreekjo

cherrycreekjo New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Hello all! I am new to this forum thing but figured I would give it a try.... I live in Aurora CO and I have chickens. The area of town I live in is a little more of the "up and coming" neighborhood, it is pretty run down. The rules say you can have 4 hens but no roosters. My whole flock started with one rooster I found dumped in the middle of no where when he was 4 months old. Unable to find him a home I kept him. I got one of those no call rooster collars for him and he was so quiet, quieter than a dog. Also, around my house there are about 5-8 other roosters just in the 2 block vicinity.
    Where Im going with this is how do I go about proposing to get the laws changed to allow one rooster? My hens were so much happier with Jo (that's the rooster) around. He found them food, protected them, lead them to bed at night and when he died this past July they were absolutely devastated. They would wander around alone (not together as a group like they used to) and it was just heart breaking. So I broke down and kept his son from this year, Dave. (I had chicks this last spring and I kept one rooster.) Again, a no call rooster collar and he keeps the girls "rounded up" and protects them just like his dad. I think it is very beneficial to my flock to have a rooster. Some may not want one, I really enjoy having them. Dave is a sweet boy and is 9 months now and has never even hinted towards aggressiveness. He is gently with the ladies and they just follow him everywhere. They all come running when I come out to give them their nightly "salad" and I just love him. They get a salad every night, fresh greens, apples, grapes, banana, squash, berries, all that healthy stuff. I also have a place worked out if I ever get told I need to get rid of him, have to plan for the worst sometimes...They are also free range in my back yard, it is about 4000 sq ft, so they are pretty spoiled.
    Anyway, now that I have written a novel, any suggestions for who/where I should talk to/go to see about changing the ordinances? I really think that if someone wants a rooster and puts a collar on them, keeps them in their coop until a reasonable hour like 8 then it would be possible. Thoughts?

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

If he is not crowing, the collar is doing its job I would just continue as you are....

Good luck

Gary

3. cherrycreekjo

cherrycreekjo New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Thank you!! His crow is very soft and the other roosters around my house are much louder... Thank you for your advice! :)

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just because you are willing to do the extra steps to not make his crowing a nuisance doesn't mean that the next person will too. I don't see how you could ever change the ordinance due to the overwhelming popularity of backyard hens and the small parcel size. Fly under the radar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by