Department of Agriculture causing me a nervous breakdown

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ca, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Stupid me I decided to import some eggs from Europe. Getting all the tests done and cooperation of the farmer over there was - although prohibitively expensive - a breeze!
    The Department of Ag on the other hand is giving me a fit! By now I know half the staff personally over there and have a permit which now needs to be ammended... Steep learning curve. And more expensive than a semester worth of 3 credits at a community college. Why did I ever get myself into this mess??? [​IMG]
    Hope the cutsies are worth it - if they ever get here and don't get stuck in some random red tape! [​IMG]
    Well at least I have a permit to hang on my wall. [​IMG] Even if the eggs never make it...

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I gotta know....what kind of critter is inside the eggs?

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    same here, watcha hatching ca ?

4. ca

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:Well,
    the plan is to get some Sulmtalers [​IMG] [​IMG] Standard size that is. They just don't seem to be available around here.
    But until I actually pile the eggs in the bator I am just living a dream (Nightmare [​IMG])...

5. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    the plan is to get some Sulmtalers [​IMG] [​IMG] Standard size that is. They just don't seem to be available around here.
    But until I actually pile the eggs in the bator I am just living a dream (Nightmare [​IMG])...

Your going through all that crap for something that looks like a chicken? (kidding) Get one of these.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

look at the itty bitty striped baby [​IMG]

6. ca

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg

Your going through all that crap for something that looks like a chicken? (kidding) Get one of these.... [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/46573_cassowary.jpg

look at the itty bitty striped baby [​IMG]

Well, well, not too shabby! Let me know if you need any tips for importing [​IMG]. I should change my title to "importexpert". Or just simply "way crazy!" (hindsight is always a full fraction)

7. ca

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    OK I should take some of the whining back. They were really nice today over at USDA! Just hoping now that all the paperwork is in order (I am not a lawyer and have a hard time deciphering some of their requirements) and that the guys/gals at the inspection port are nice too!.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    let us know how it turns out

sooooo, after looking up Sulmtalers I have decided those birds might be nice to add to the flock. anyone in the us raise them?

hint hint

9. ca

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:IF this all actually works out I should have some chicks and eggs available next spring [​IMG]. But I remain skeptical until they hatch. What a trip for the poor eggies. And then USDA might decide to keep them quarantined for a while... who knows. This is worse than when we were building a house [​IMG].

10. ca

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    I take it all back! USDA has been wonderful. They have some really great nice people working there! Thanks Dr. Cooper, Dr. Bulaga, and Dr. Bolton!
    The eggs made it through USDA and Customs and are on the way here where the bators are waiting.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by