Departure Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by crawfordmama, Jul 29, 2011.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I've griped on BYC for a few months about my handsome EE roo Lincoln, who begins crowing every morning at 3:30. DH is at his wits' end, as the coop is 10' from our bedroom window. In May I hatched 5 eggs, 4 of which are boys. I can only reasonably keep 2.

DH talked with the manager of the feed store down town, and found that he not only takes in all of the chicks that aren't bought each season, but he accepts "drop-offs" at his home. I've driven by his house. He has acres and acres of land, filled with countless chicken tractors, pigs, horses and cows. And the bonus is, he doesn't butcher roos. He keeps them all, and manages to keep them humanely and happy. I'm certainly not against processing chickens, I just don't have the guts to do it. Plus, I can't bear the thought of my little babies being dinner.

So, I managed to scoop up Lincoln and place him in our shed (I did this tonight because there's no way to catch him during the day). He's upset, and I feel like the girls are too. Rory and Coco (named before I knew they were cockerals) are sleeping in their baby coop, but will be taken tomorrow, and all three will be brought to their new home.

I know I can't reasonably keep the babies and give them a happy and safe home, but I still feel a bit down about this. They are so sweet and unsuspecting. I know they'll be handsome when they mature. This is my first time rehoming any of my chickens. I keep telling myself that I can always go visit them. I guess I just need to take a big girl pill and suck it up. [​IMG]

2. ouracrybaby

ouracrybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    [​IMG] You're doing the right thing. They will be happy and healthy and ALIVE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by