1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Depluming mites? Pictures

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coopmama, Jul 30, 2016.

1. coopmama

coopmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2015
    SW, PA
    My rooster seems to be pecking his feathers off more and more in the past couple of weeks. I dusted him a couple of times with Sevin, but it doesn't appear to have helped. Is this what depluming mites looks like? Or is this just from the heat or boredom or something simpler?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Looks like he's molting. The skin may just be irritated.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    First pic is new feathers growing in.....the feather sheath is the gray around the outside, they will preen that off as the feather grows out.
    That red skin.... I don't know what causes that, have seen it come and go (sometimes just lasts a day or two) in my birds.
    Depluming mites live inside the feather shaft and so are invisible to the human eye....I've also read that they are fairly uncommon here in the US.

4. coopmama

coopmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2015
    SW, PA

Thanks for the response. Yeah I know those are new feathers growing in; it's because he ripped them all out. He is literally pulling the feathers out & there is blood sprayed on the coop walls. No other chickens look like this. I didn't want to medicate him if he doesn't need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by