Deposit incubator advise here:

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by frillydishes, Aug 29, 2014.

1. frillydishes

frillydishes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Howdy! I just set my first batch of eggs in the incubator, I think it's a little giant 9200 with a fan and turner, 2 days ago and I want to be prepared. Some had been in the coop for close to a week so I candled and marked the obvious ones and I'll do it again in a week...unless you guys say otherwise. I've got 21 with 6 confirmed from a mixed flock . I've ordered a hydrometer so I don't have a clue what my humidity is doing right now but I have filled 2 cells with water and there's no moisture on the windows. The last 7 years my girls have done all this for me, who knew it was so complicated!? I've seen a few posts of people taking the egg turner out at lockdown, is that SOP or just a preference, what do I do..and why? Also, am I increasing the temp at lockdown too? I know I'll want to get the humidity up a bit but is there anything else? I feel exactly the same as when I was I was pregnant...I think I read the ENTIRE internet and still felt like I had no clue what I was doing!:caf. I can see how this could pretty easily become my next addiction.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101. :welcome. Yes you are right it will become an addiction. This link is a very good read for first time hatcher. You said they had been in coop a week? Had a hen been brooding them or some of them? Your humidity should be 45% day 1-18 and then upto 65% at lockdown. Lockdown is when you stop turning the eggs on day 18 and remove them from the turner and lay them on their sides or put them into cut down egg cartons. You put humidity up so the chicks can pip and break through the shell. You stop turning at day 18 so that the chicks can get in the correct position for hatching. After lockdown don't open your incubator or you will loose humidity. If your incubator has a fan I wouldn't increase temp at lockdown that is mainly recommended for still air incubators. I incubate and hatch with temp at 37.5 Celsius. Good luck with your hatch.:fl

3. frillydishes

frillydishes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Thanks so much!! I'll check it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by