Depressed/bullied chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jack33, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Jack33

Jack33 New Egg

Aug 11, 2012
    Hi there,

I have 2 beautiful girls (no clue what breed!) that I adopted in August this year (2012).

Miss Daisy always appeared the more dominant, but it didn't seem to bother Mrs Brown.

A few days ago I noticed that Mrs Brown wasn't as perky as normal and wasn't taking the corn or dried mealworm I always give them in the morning. She seemed very lethargic and down right depressed!

I took her to the vet tonight and he said that she is thin and possibly has an upset wee tummy and has given me medication for her. However, he thinks that she is depressed and probably being bullied by Daisy.

I am really upset that my wee chook is depressed and wonder if anyone has any ideas what I can do about the situation?

Thanks a million

Jacqueline (and Mrs Brown!) x

2. ThePaintedHen

ThePaintedHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    What does the vet think her stomach problem is and what is the medication? If a chicken is sick they can get picked on horribly. Also, I have read that keeping three chickens is an optimal minimum number. If you have the resources, you could try and add a third and maybe that would give Miss Daisy some one else to divert her attention to. However, there is always a pecking order and someone always is going to be lowest in that order. Mrs. Brown might be bullied no matter what. :( My only other advice is to isolate Miss Daisy for a week or so while allowing Mrs. Brown to go about her usual business and hopefully giving the medication time to work. Then after a week, put Miss Daisy back in the coop at night. This might give Brown the confidence in the coop being "her" territory. I have tried this myself though and after 10 minutes my bully was back to being a bully. :(

1 person likes this.
  3. Jack33

Jack33 New Egg

Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks so much for answering me. Your advice is awesome! Unfortunately my wee girlie died on the way to the vet today following a number of seizures. [​IMG]

I am now left with 1 rather bemused chook and my kids hassling me to get another 1 or 2 girls.

My heart hurts for my Mrs Brown and my head hurts from trying to work out if I should get another few girls!

Thanks again for answering. [​IMG]

4. ThePaintedHen

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    Oh no!!!! I am so sorry to hear that Mrs. Brown didn't make it. :( I have 3 small children and they always take a death just as hard as I do.

5. ThePaintedHen

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    I can only speculate, but I bet Daisy could tell that Brown was ill and that is when she started being a big bully. That being said, chickens are social creatures and I bet Daisy would be happiest with a couple of companions. Again, I am so sorry about the chick. :(

1 person likes this.
  6. Jack33

Jack33 New Egg

Aug 11, 2012
    Think that Daisy could tell Mrs Brown was ill and it kinda turned her into a bit of a moo! Saying that, she now looks totally lost! Wandering around hassling the little wild birds who come into her run to help themselves to her corn, looking for Mrs Brown.And here was me thinking chooks are easy to look after!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by