Depressed Chick, Please Help!

Angie09

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2022
So my week old chick is a very active chick, but when he was only a few days old he would chirp constantly whenever there's no one around. When my second chick hatched five days ago, I put her with him and he stopped chirping, but because the second chick was very weak to begin with, she unfortunately, didn't make it past the fifth day. Ever since I took her out of the broader, my older chick has been chirping a lot but quietly and would often just sit down (my second chick would go under him for warmth and he would plop down with her) even though he's usually very energetic. He also stopped getting excited to see me like he normally does and stopped wanting to do things he usually liked to do. My other eggs have shown no signs of hatching yet so it's just him in the brooder. I don't know what to do to cheer him up.

Do you just have chicks and no adult chickens? Could he be cold?
This is my first time raising chicks so there's no adult chickens around. I have a heat lamp above the brooder and it's set to 82 Fahrenheit but it's usually one or two degrees lower than that. He also chirps loudly whenever he's cold so I don't think so.

This is my first time raising chicks so there's no adult chickens around. I have a heat lamp above the brooder and it's set to 82 Fahrenheit but it's usually one or two degrees lower than that. He also chirps loudly whenever he's cold so I don't think so.
Try lowering the lamp a little, it should be a little closer to 85. You mentioned it's not interested in doing much, have you checked for pasty butt?

Try lowering the lamp a little, it should be a little closer to 85. You mentioned it's not interested in doing much, have you checked for pasty butt?
I have, but I’m not sure if this is it.
BE73C4DE-1A43-4E86-AA6A-E047C4AD569A.jpeg

It doesn’t look like the examples I’ve seen online so I don’t know if this is pasty butt or something else

Looks more like a navel scab, it's butt is that line below the tail.
I’ve tried checking again but he won’t stop kicking, but I think he’s fine. I've noticed he's been pecking at the corner a lot (the corner with the stuffed animal and where him and the other chick used to sleep the most, don't know if it's a coincidence but just pointing it out).

I’ve tried checking again but he won’t stop kicking, but I think he’s fine. I've noticed he's been pecking at the corner a lot (the corner with the stuffed animal and where him and the other chick used to sleep the most, don't know if it's a coincidence but just pointing it out).
How has the chick been? You said the other eggs hadn’t hatched yet? How many hatched now?

Back
Top Bottom