Depressed Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tenderft chick, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Tenderft chick

Tenderft chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Hi, My Americana chicken is acting depressed for the last couple days. She comes out of the coop but just hangs out and is not doing chicken things like the rest. Running around the yard and eating. She eats a little when I bring treats out but doesn't seem very interested. Any ideas? I am going to try and worm her tonight. She is not a regular egg layer - 3 years old. I don't think broody because not laying in nest box. Does lay all around the yard in the open in the weeks etc.[​IMG]

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, definitely get her wormed. Worms and mites for that matter can suck the life out of a chicken. Check her over for mites also and apply some Sevin dust if she appears to have them. Check over the coop and roost bars to see if any mites are lurking there or their eggs. You could get her on some vitamins also to help perk her back up. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Tenderft chick

Tenderft chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I don't have any Sevin but I have DE will that work?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Most definitely!. DE is probably better than the Sevin being a natural product. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by