Depressed Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chiclet, Oct 28, 2011.

1. chiclet

chiclet Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    alexandria
    Hi-
    I think i have a depressed chicken on my hands.
    She's a 5 month old Cochin, and came into the flock as a new born, with 3 others. I have 2 older girls that are the head honchos. Everyone's a bantam, except Cochin. She's a BIG girl, and looks like baby huey beside the others.
    Cochin is at the bottom of the flock; even below the half-blind silkie. When the others wake up and come charging out of the pen, she's still sitting on the roost, head down. She's always in the corner, facing away from the other girls. She never comes running for treats with them. I try feeding her treats separately, but she doesn't really want them. I dont think she likes dried mealworms, even! I always make sure she has a separate bowl to feed from, as she wont come near the other girls for food.
    Anyone else ever had a depressed hen? What to do?
    [​IMG]

2. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri
    I see this post is a year old, but I'm wondering what happened. I've also got a hen not acting like herself. I think mine is avoiding the new rooster. She is a very sweet nature bird and as far as I know she's never laid eyes on a rooster before. She is eating. And will take treats if I bring them to her.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    The post is new today. Thai, you're looking at a membership date.
    OP, perhaps your bird is ill? Is her weight good? Is she eating enough? Is her poo normal? Is she laying eggs? Does she go out and play? If it's 'just' depression, it's just too sad and something need sto change with her circumstances.
    JJ

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Rule out physical causes as mentioned by the previous poster. After that, what you may be dealing with is the fact that she's the only chicken of her kind in the flock. Birds of a feather do really like to flock together. Get her a couple of cochin buddies!

5. chiclet

chiclet Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    alexandria
    i really think she's fine physically. pooping, and eating (separately) all look normal. She hasn't started laying yet.
    i'm a city dweller. 5 chickens are our limit. i didn't think chickens could tell their breeds were different. I figure, a chicken just knows it's like the other chickens, mostly.
    although i'll keep that in mind, if we ever lose one.
    thanks,lori

6. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    My BRs and GLWs are two mini flocks within a flock...they definitely know they're different from each other. I assume they are simply racist chickens.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    lol I got a Silver Laced Wyandotte this spring before I knew they were racist. MAN, that lady did NOT like anyone else. I gave her to a lady with other SLWs. I hope my little hen didn't get beaten up for associating with other types of chickens prior to joining the flock. [​IMG]

8. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Mine are like that too. The hens are worse than some human high school girls [​IMG]

9. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

That was funny. We basically all different breeds of chickens except 2 black Australorps, and they do tend to stick together, i'd agree with you. Luckily many of ours are closely related breeds like New Hampshire, Red Star, Rhode Island Red, Barred/White Rocks etc. I imagine at least having all large breeds or similar breeds might help.

We have our own run of the flock, she is our New Hampshire and also didn't want to go after treats or spend much of any time with the rest of her flock. She developed the slowest out of all of them, always had her head tucked down and looked a bit timid 24/7. She now is finally spending more time with the flock and competing for treats etc.

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Is it possible with your set up to give her a different area and see if that perks her up?

I would also maybe try a drop or two of Rescue Remedy pet version in her water, or put drop on some yummy little fruit treat - cut up blueberry or grape or whatever - to make sure she is the one getting it. It is known for its calming effect. Bloster her nutritionally however you can so she feels her best.

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by