Depressed chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JakRat, Dec 19, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Can a chicken be depressed? I have a little girl who has always been shy quiet and calm. She sits in my lap and doesnt really forage. Could she be depressed? I dont think she is sick. She does breathe with her mouth open but she has done that from the beginning. I accidentally stepped/kicked her last week but she doesnt seem to be hurt... I felt around and she didnt make any sounds when I was pressing on her to see if she was hurt... I think I just scared her. Any ideas?

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:I think that some can get depressed for short periods of time, but I think if your little girl has always been slow and not so social and with the open mouth breathing, I would think something is wrong with her. Not so much sick as maybe as just always been a weak chick. If that makes sense.
    editted for wrong word.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I think that some can get depressed for short periods of time, but I think if your little girl has always been slow and not so social and with the open mouth breathing, I would think something is wrong with her. Not so much sick as maybe as just always been a weak chick. If that makes sense.
    editted for wrong word.

Yeah she eats fine, hangs out with her sister... she is just sooooo mellow compared to the others.

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I know in my flock, my favorites were usually the slower ones or ones that needed me the most. And way more friendly than the ones that could hang out with the other chickens without getting picked on, its really good your little girl has a sister that she can hangout with. [​IMG]

5. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Yeah its cute, they squabble sometimes, but other than that they hang out. Our little banty rooster is her friend too... they are super cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by