Depressed Duck?

Sam Pritchard

Chirping
Jul 24, 2017
Livingston Manor
its all really a long story. But to make it fast- I traveled from nc to ny with my two anacona ducks. They were best friends (two females) they truly loved eachother. When one died of a predator I got her two more adult ducks to bond with. It was rough at first but finally they became civil and would forage together and swim together. Recently another attack happened and those two died. She survived yet again, tuff duck. She was out on the pond foraging and I couldn't get her back in the pen at night- I assumed she knew it wasn't safe. I finally caught her and she's been living in a dog crate during the nights and in a small pen during the day, until I can build something strong. since I got her in the dog kennel (about 3 days now) she hasn't eaten anything or even drank water as far as I know. She just seems depressed- is that even a thing? How can I help her? I know getting her a mate would be best but finding ducks where I am is REALLY HARD if not impossible. I'm going to order some baby ducks soon but they won't even be able to go outside for a couple months till they are grown since it's practically winter. It kills me she won't have friends till winter. I got her as a teen so she isn't really bonded to me so I don't think my company means much to her. Any ideas? Will she starve herself to death?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 415
Yes, ducks get depressed. I thought I was going to lose Romy after Michele died of E.Y.P.

But she made it.

An unbreakable mirror can help sometimes, as well as a washable stuffed animal (no little parts that could be pulled off and swallowed). Frankly when I see a duck is not doing well, I talk to them just like I would talk to a friend. Ducks seem to respond to vocalization and attention.

There is a possibility there could be a physical problem also, so please pay attention to things like her stool, if she has bad breath, anything out of the ordinary. You are right that you need to increase security. Predators return.

Does the stuff animal have to be a duck? I try to sit and talk to her a few times a day but she just seems scared. But I'll just keep doing it maybe it's helping- the mirror idea is quite interesting I'll try that tomorrow!

Breaks my heart to see her so sad- I just hope she starts drinking and eating soon:/
Yes, ducks get depressed. I thought I was going to lose Romy after Michele died of E.Y.P.

But she made it.

An unbreakable mirror can help sometimes, as well as a washable stuffed animal (no little parts that could be pulled off and swallowed). Frankly when I see a duck is not doing well, I talk to them just like I would talk to a friend. Ducks seem to respond to vocalization and attention.

There is a possibility there could be a physical problem also, so please pay attention to things like her stool, if she has bad breath, anything out of the ordinary. You are right that you need to increase security. Predators return.

Yeah, my ducks love standing on things. One time we gave them my husbands old sneakers and they slept on them for like a whole day. Of course we had to throw them out after a full day because they were nasty... My girls also enjoy when their food bowl is empty knocking it over to stand on, and also the rock under it they snuggle up there too.

Don’t put in a stuffy you care about! It will forever be a duck stuffy.

Good news! I put a wooden duck in there with her and at first she seemed sorta interested but I wasn't sure if it was working- so I tried the mirror. WOW! Immediately she started talking to her new "friend" and waddling her butt around. She started to forage, eat her feed, and drink water within minutes. Who knew that was such a quick fix. I also finally got the new coop mostly up and going so she can have more space and her pool back. Though until it's SUPER safe she still will have to spend nights in the kennel. She's one happy girl! Thanks everyone :) I love this community for this very reason!

Attachments

• IMG_3974.JPG
    IMG_3974.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 338
I'm not a duck expert but I also recently lost a duck due to her swallowing a scorpion. After she passed I became really concerned about our other duck because I know how social they are and even though we have chickens they're not the same. We ended up getting another duckling and they were pretty scared of each other but now they are ok with each other! But since the duckling is still too young to be outside at night he has to stay inside alone so we gave him a stuffed animal and it really helps... If the mirror doesn't continue to work then I would suggest getting another duck for her. And make sure you fix whatever is going on with predators because she shouldn't be scared to go into her own pen y'know :( but hope everything works out!

Back
Top Bottom