Depressed EE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jay E., Dec 6, 2017.

1. Treating at home.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Don't want it to spread to rest of flock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jay E.

Jay E. Chirping

Sep 27, 2017
    Graham
    We have a 9 month old EE hen, not for sure on weight. About a week and half ago seemed to get depressed (we thought). She has withdrawn from rest of flock, doesn't go into the coop at night. She eats and drinks barely. She didn't even move today. We've checked for mites, bugs, and nothing. Her vent is getting a little messy. Not very responsive. Haven't seen her poop. None of our other chickens have these symptoms, no trauma to her. We just got and started treatment for possible worms. Gave her the water & Wazine with syringe. Will start with electrolyte water.

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she ever laid eggs, and if she has is she still laying? Can you offer her some wet chicken feed, made fresh daily, and add a little chopped egg and a tsp of plain yogurt for probiotics, and some poultry electrolytes with vitamins? Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell are good brands, and can be given orally 2-3 ml daily. Can you pick her up and feel her breatbone to see if she has lost weight? Does she have any swelling in her lower belly? How does her crop feel—empty, somewhat full, hard, or puffy?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  4. ChicksInCT

ChicksInCT In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2016
    Greenwich, CT (Riverside)
    Hope this little girl got better. We had a similar problem a year ago and took her to the vet. They checked for a stuck egg but that wasn't it. They put her on extra calcium and an antibiotic and it seemed to perk her right up. Hope you found something to make her better.

5. Jay E.

Jay E. Chirping

Sep 27, 2017
    Graham
    micstrachan and sourland like this.
  6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, thread could have been moved by clicking the 'report' icon and asking to be moved.
    There's more info in that other thread, why I linked them.
    No worries.

7. Jay E.

Jay E. Chirping

Sep 27, 2017
    Graham
    Sorry, still learning, how to use thread. Just worried about our sons chicken.

aart likes this.

8. Jay E.

Jay E. Chirping

Sep 27, 2017
    Graham
    Sadly we lost our Chirp. She was still hanging on this morning when we took children to school. By time husband and I got home from errands she had passed.
    Now a new question how to disinfect a coop, were still not for sure what made her sick.

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    So sorry. :(

It would be hard to know if she died of something contagious unless you had a necrospy done so you could know what it was and how to proceed. Many state vets will do them for free, not sure what state you are in. Even if she did, the other birds have already been exposed so disinfecting is most likely moot. Just keep a close eye on others and maybe do some research about vets if you want to go that route.

10. Jay E.

Jay E. Chirping

Sep 27, 2017
    Graham
    Thank You. We're in Washington.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by