Depressed hen after loss of roo..what do I do???

fishnet1971

'Birds Momma
13 Years
May 25, 2010
'Bird 'n the Fluffy Butts coop in Ohio
My hen May, that I recently adopted from the APL in Buffalo, had become best friends with my 2nd. roo Blu. THey were the best of buds. Blu died three days ago. May is lost without him. She just walks around making noise looking for him. My other 8 girls could care less. Blu and May were the 'outcasts' in my flock. THey hung together and stayed in thier own little world. What can I do for my little May? It is breaking my heart to see her like this. Blu and Her were the bottom of my flocks hen pecking order. Now May is the bottom and is getting picked on pretty bad withou Blu.

what can I doooo????????????
This is May
58585_halloween10_139.jpg

Last edited:
Shake up the pecking order by removing one or two of the ones who are doing the most pecking for a week or so. Life will be a little easier for her and she will nave something new to pay attention to.

I'm so sorry about Blu but I recently lost a 3 month old Silkie named Lindsey. I think it was her twin, I'm not sure cause I got them when they were only couple of weeks old and her name is Paris. Paris looked all over to find Linsey. And she would make these sounds, I actually thought a baby was crying. But after a week or so, she stopped making noises and adapted to her surroundings. I don't think there is anything you can do. Maybe get him a flock block to get him busy. I gave Paris alot of treats but she stopped when she wanted too. Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't have any good answers (removing a few of the higher ups is a pretty good suggestion). I just wanted to extend my condolences to you and to May. She is a very pretty girl. I hope she finds a new friend very soon. I have one who is the bottom of the heap and it just breaks your heart!

Give May a Treat for me,
Jenny

yea, she was jsut happy to have anyone as a friend. She was an abused hen that was found wandering the streets of BUffalo NY with a teather around her leg. I have more than enough room for them, so i put out the word that I would foster/home any hens around. (I am 300 miles from Buffalo mind you!) I couldnt turn her down once i saw her. She has been debeaked,looks a little funny, but is a doll. I love her to death!!!! a total comedian she is. lol I am wondering if I should just adopt a few more older hens for her to hang out with???? She laid me one egg a few months ago that was soooo tiny!!!!!!! and that's all I have from her. that's fine by me. She keeps me smiling and that's enough.

Quote:
yeah! i can send you one. Oh wait, you're taking about CHICKENS....
smack.gif

I just separated 3 from the main flock to cut down on squabbles and those three are each laying almost an egg a day and are much more relaxed.

It's cold and snowy over here.

Back
Top Bottom