Depressed Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aimee2013, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Aimee2013

Aimee2013 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    Hello

I rehomed two ex battery hens, When cleaning the chicken barn at work i saw afew chickens pecking one that was on the floor. I picked her up and i have brought her home with another in the same kind of condition.

One has picked up very well but the other seems very depressed and always seems to sleep in a way she comes across as just give up the will to live :( i think the other hen i have at home has started to peck her also :'( i know it happens but they didnt peck each toher untill now.

Is there anything i can do to help her other wise il have to take her back to the farm and the will have to put her to sleep :(.

I do have two chicken jumpers on their way i will have them by Monday, tomorrow morining i will set up their run so they can go outside onto the grass for a bit.

Please any advise or help please

i dont want to have to put her down if i dont need to.

2. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    are you sure she isn't sick? when chickens sleep like that or are not active that is typically indication of something going on.

3. Aimee2013

Nov 15, 2013
    when the farmer gave her a health check he said she was healthy and the others said it would take around a week for her to come round :( but i dont know what to think. I will see what she is like tomorrow morning but i hate to think that she might be in pain. I am at the farm again next week so if there is no improvement i will have to take her back.

4. Aimee2013

Nov 15, 2013
    Thankyou for everybody's help but she died last night I will get another one this week coming so the one I'm left with isn't alone

5. hali74

hali74 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2013
    That's soo sad to hear! :( there are various powders you can put on your hens' feathers that will prevent pecking... We got 2 hens from a farm also which were meant to be friendly together so look for hens that seem to be getting along and seem to stay together.. Try not going for the ill/depressed looking ones cos you'll end up depressed yourself when they pass x

6. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

So very sorry for your loss. Poor little girl. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by